Finding a private instructor

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Prerunner97, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Prerunner97

Prerunner97 New Friend

Aug 12, 2015
    How would I go about finding a good instructor for private lessons? Thanks!

2. Gendreauj

Gendreauj Piano User

Aug 26, 2013
    Metro-Detroit
    All depends on where you live.If you live in a college town contact the music department. Do any of your friends play trumpet, they should be able to recommend someone. A local music store should have a private tutor. Go online, Musika or other music website should have instructors in your area.

good luck in your search.

Jim

Conn Director 17 A cornet Coprion 1963
    Conn 1000 A cornet 1986
    Curry 3 VC cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 Heritage cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 B silver cornet mp
    Denis Wick 3 B gold cornet mp
    Denis Wick 4 B silver cornet mp

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ask your school instructor for references, as s/he might also do so privately, but if so make sure s/he is a trumpet/cornet player themselves. We can't help you unless we know where you live, what age you are, and what grade level you practice/play in. I tutor through high school level where I am.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Where do you live. Maybe I know someone in the area. By the way, I strongly recommend Bruce Haag, that is a master at Skype and would be a valuable resource. He was Elvis' trumpet player in the years Elvis played in Vegas and he really knows his stuff. He is now based out of Cincinnati. By the way, welcome to TM!

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Your best match will be a philosophical one. Search for someone who is committed to the advancement of music through trumpet playing; not someone who failed as a player and has resorted to teaching.

6. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    I contacted my local University/College and requsted lessons from the professor (Julian Poore), he was unavaliable but he put me in touch with an equally as good teacher and I'm seeing improvement!

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Google. Then use the phone.

Seriously - Google "trumpet teacher" for your area - it might be at a local community college, it might just be someone who teaches trumpet, but if they're serious about teaching, they'll have some kind of website or listing somewhere.

Then, pick up the phone and call. You won't know if they are good for you or not until you actually start taking lessons.

Of course if you were like me, living in a small town in a rural area of a midwest state, you'll have to take what you can get - it might be the local school band director, and that's only if they have the time to take on a student who isn't a school student.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome to TM, Prerunner97!

Another place to try is your local music store. They usually have lists of teachers in the area.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Unfortunately it doesn't seem that our original poster has come back to make use of the advice we've given.

I have to admit that I often take for granted these days where I live, both for gig opportunities, but also for the plethora of other music related resources available to me. Here are a few examples:

• Music stores - I have two Guitar Centers within 30 minutes, Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center is about 45, (depending on traffic) and there are more small music stores in the area than I can count
    • Colleges - just here in this region within an hour's drive or so are about a half-dozen schools that have music related courses, and some of them boast really fine music programs, such as Peabody Conservatory of Music and the University of MD, College Park
    • Teachers - SO many teachers - everyone from college professors, to active and retired premier military musicians, to working area pros, to members of two major symphonies - the Baltimore Symphony and the National Symphony
    • A multitude of opportunity to hear fine live music - doesn't matter what genre you listen to or where you want to listen - jazz clubs, symphony halls, rock clubs, stadiums...
    • Gigging opportunities - I mostly gig in an upscale wedding band, but there are a bunch of area big bands, community concert bands, regional orchestras, churches, dinner theaters, etc
    • Repair centers - I can take my pick from a few repair shops who have stellar reputations for doing great work, and that's just for brass. There are also a bunch of master guitar techs out here too. Heck, I'm a 30 minute drive from the Paul Reed Smith guitar factory in Kent Island, MD.
    I had none of that available to me growing up in Imperial, in the SW corner of the state of Nebraska. If I wanted to experience much at all, I either had to drive a considerable distance. While there are definitely things I don't care for living in a high population area, I can't knock it when it comes to the things it offers me as a musician.

10. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA

As usual, Mr. Ivan is spot-on with his advice. I asked my community band director if he could help me or direct me to someone who can because he plays, and quite well. He hasn't given lessons in over ten years, but decided to help me, I guess because we get along quite well.