Finding a trumpet teacher - can they really ...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Feb 23, 2008.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I didn't mean that you need a new mouthpiece. I used myself as an example of how my body changed over time in spite of constant training. What also changes appreciably is your hearing which also is the acoustic feedback that governs all playing. After laying off for many years you have an "intelligent" new start. You kind of know what needs to happen, the mind is strong and the flesh is weak........................ A teacher can speed up developing good habits which will reap the most results fastest.

2. Kmrt57

Kmrt57 New Friend

Feb 25, 2008
    A good trumpet teacher will have you ignore the Double C for now and concentrate on Long Tones and moving air through the horn.
    Too many players get hung up on playing high and fast.
    If you don't have a sound nothing else will work.

3. francolinni

francolinni New Friend

Dec 14, 2007
    Philly
    Yo Guys: Just learned that my present mentor is leaving the country to take a full timer 1 seat in Tokyo. Major bummer for me, the guy is pure genius. Worked out of Settlement Music School in Philly with him. Working on getting a new teach, but the dude can't even recommend anyone that he thinks would be able to tweak me that next little bit without major travel time. Anybody know of any "secret" top guys in the Philly area willing to sit with an old guy whose not too hard to get along with, and can provide the more than routine type input? Yea, I know, I'm dreamin, but always lookin to get lucky. Franco:dontknow: