Finding A Trumpet Teacher

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bamajazzlady, Jun 25, 2011.

1. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    So true. Every hour gigging you will learn up
    to ten times more than equal time in the practice room.

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I work with a lot of adult beginners. Not all teachers have this experience.

3. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I hope it wasn't his technique at playing the double high C that resulted in Bill no longer being with us. Such links should have attached: Caution, playin double high C could be hazardous to your health.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What is it about people that think they need a 52 week crash course to play a double high C on the trumpet? If this time committment is the goal of the trumpet player, to achieve that double high C, then perhaps it is time for that trumpet player to move on to another hobby, pasttime or profession.

Range comes when it is time to come, when it suits the skill level needs of the trumpeter. It comes with experience, maturity and practice. No 52 week course is going to teach you this.

6. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Your dead wrong. I took the Crash Course and it worked for me and countless others. And for your advice, " then perhaps it is time for that trumpet player to move on to another hobby, pasttime or profession ", take your own advise.

Claude Gordon said publicly concerning Bill, " In all my years of teaching I have never had a student who knows how to teach trumpet as does Bill Knevitt."

What others say about The Crash Course and Bill:

Dear Mr. Knevitt,
    When I came to you as a student, I was very near to giving up my horn and heading in a different direction. You turned my playing around and made it possible for me to became a professional trumpet player.

Tim Zimmerman... The Kings Brass... Winona Lake, Ind.

I am glad I had the opportunity to study Bill Knevitt's " Ultra-Trumpet System." ... As a serious student of the trumpet, I highly recommend Bill Knevitt as a trumpet teacher.

Larry Jones...Peabody Conservatory of Music... Baltimore MD

Bill Knevitt is an excellent motivator who teaches by setting a superb playing example.

David R, Martin ... Director of Bands... Jackson, Michigan

Bill Knevitt possesses the rare abilities of a master Teacher.

Mark Petty...Salvation Army Band...Royal Oaks, Michigan

Dear Mr. Knevitt,
    For 30 years in orchestras and bands, I had to be satisfied with 2nd or 3rd trumpet because I had no range above high C. No teacher before you could get through to me what has to be done to achieve these notes from high C to dbl. high C. No book that I ever bought (and there were many) ever help me to become a 1st chair player. After a few months studying with you, I not only dramatically increased my range but attained a much more powerful fortissimo. Bravissimo!

Norm Watz....Professional Player ... St. Clair Shores, Michigan

Don't be a " gmonady " check it out for yourself at ......
    http://www.latorremusic.com ... before passing judgement.

Bill studied with Mr. Gordon for 6 years and was a student of Professor Clifford P Lillya at the University of Michigan

Professor J. Maurice Dobbins of Moody Bible Institute, made this comment,
    " Bill is, without a doubt, the finest trumpet player we have had in the 75 year history of our school."

Bill dedicated his book, " The Truth About How To Play Double High C on Trumpet " to the Memory of Herbert L. Clarke.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    showing your true self, by making a joke of a death of a man who spent his life helping others.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Welcome aboard bamajazzlady! Have you checked at UAB School of Music?
    Dr. James Zingara is currently Assistant Professor of Trumpet/Assistant Director of Bands at the University of Alabama at Birmingham where his responsibilities include applied trumpet, brass ensembles, conducting the symphony band, and assisting with the Marching Blazers, wind symphony, and Blazer Basketball Band. He has an impressive resume.
    You will find the best teachers at universities. I had lessons from the late Mike Johnson, Ph.D. at UA in Tuscaloosa. Professors are usually very interested in people of all ages learning music.
    I glad you are a part of TM. It is good to have you. If Dr. Zingara is not available he will suggest someone. If you checkon the UAB website or google his name his email address will come up.
    I wish you the best God has planned for you!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No... read the post carefully... This was meant to convey humor. I think most here on TM really know me as a humorist... so you really don't know me very well at all. So I ask of you, can you find it in your heart to lighten up a bit? Enjoy life. And sorry about you crashing on that course in trying to hit that double high C.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I checked out the site. Looks to me as if somebody is trying to make money off of Bills name. Oh... Could that be you... Ultatrumpet is selling these... Arn't you Ultratrumpet...? Please explain...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012