Finding it difficult to play high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    any tips on how to play high notes more freely?

im having trouble tightening my lips from the side to produce higher notes. I always end up putting pressure infront/middle of my lips causing the air to strain and tiring out a lot quickly.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, don't tighten you lips so much. Relax the tension in you lips. Take a deep breath. Hold it, blow it out x3 until you cannot blow it out any more. Then blow out air again. THEN take in a deep breath and hold it. This will be your power. Now try to play and push out the air from down deep, but RELAX your upper airway to direct the air straight through you mouthpiece. This will be the start of your ability to play high notes more freely.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    This guy has a book and CD, and some clearly explained thoughts and methods.
    "Mystery to Mastery" - and some free web lessons to view here on line.
    Free trumpet lesson videos by yamaha atrist Greg Spence. the videos cover many trumpet related topics discussing technique, range, articlation, high notes, endurance and great trumpet information for beginner trumpet players to learn how to play the

You still need to practice. I have had one lesson, and he corrected a few air support issues on that first lesson. His name is Greg Spence and lives in Melbourne. Great player, with a huge range and does not use excessive pressure.

I will be lining up for a second lesson next month.
    Cheers

4. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Thanks guys for your help.

ill get on board with that!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    the notes called "high" by players without them are actually not high - that is the first part of the problem.

Not being able to play above the staff is usually caused by:
    weak breathing
    tense body
    lack of coordination between tongue, air and chops
    no concept of how the notes should sound

The cure:
    Better breathing, often called big breath. This has to be practiced because when we naively fill up, we do it with too much tension

Relaxed body, try practicing after a hot shower or bath to get the idea

Synchronized breathing, tonguing and chops. I have NEVER found a method that can explain this well without physically showing someone. Getting lessons from someone in the know is a big help here. I teach with lipslurs and long tones. I play first, the student emulates back!

Get a concept: go to concerts (forget CDs) and WATCH players doing it right. Even better is when you can work with someone doing it right. Then you see, hear and feel the difference.

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    These are some great videos Peter. Thanks for posting them.
    -Bobby

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  8. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    Thanks guys for all your help!

will check out some of those videos.

All your advice is very useful! Thank you!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and one of the hardest lessons is actually more to do with you -- and to NOT get frustrated with yourself. I believe that is extremely important in the quest for high notes, musicality -- and pretty much all of playing.
    This whole trumpet thing -- as you know doesn't happen overnight -- and isn't always easy -- so keep a relaxed attitude also.:thumbsup:

10. sj3209

sj3209 Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    Amador County, Calif.
    geez.....you must be using the wrong mouthpiece....with the right one, you are guaranted to have all the range you ever hoped for...with the right one, you can sound like your idol...with the right one, you can play all night with no fatigue...with the right one, you can have a box full like I do looking for the right one...in the meantime, listen to Rowuk.