Finding it difficult to play high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I play a Bach 3C

The mp is fine, its training i need

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I am not sure the mouthpiece is the factor to focus on at this stage, and just to make rowuk's advice clear, his post summarizes these priorities:

Not being able to play above the staff is usually caused by:
    weak breathing
    tense body
    lack of coordination between tongue, air and chops
    no concept of how the notes should sound

This reinforces my comments in an earlier post as to get a good air reserve, breath deep - I gave an excercise to accomplish this - and then relax the upper airway.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think you have your head in the right place. Read my post just above this one. I think that summarizes the priority fairly well.

4. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    thanks gomnady,

the problem is, its F that i can't hit safely. Its always a risk when playing, i MIGHT JUST hit it, or might not be able to hit it at all.

I haven't even tried to hit over the staff....

The problem is limiting me a lot though, when it comes to play songs.

I will try your advice and have a look at some videos.

5. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    In my experience, range just came with playing the instrument many, many hours. But I can tell you what, I used to be an incredibly high compression player, but as I learned to re-position my tongue and to speed up air, and to use a higher syllable, I don't blow out a "smoke" of compressed water vapor when I'm up in the Double range anymore...There's a lot of advice out there, what you need to do- as Robin said- is cull through it and find what works...In other words, working on it while playing the instrument many , many hours! ;-)

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hang in there, keep trying and NEVER say you can't do it. Say it will come and with all the helpful advice you just received, it will come, and soon enough.

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    thanks for all your advice.

will take it on board when practicing

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You can also use chromatic ascension exercises. They can be tediously boring but I think they are effective. Vary the speed and volume (fast/loud, fast/soft, soft/fast, slow/soft, etc..).

9. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    Ascension day was last week :dontknow: :lol:

Exercises are great, but you're quite likely to get bored (and so are your involuntary audience). You need to play some tunes too. I was having trouble with F a few months ago. Now I can squeak out an A with fresh lips and a following wind. :play: I think it's a question of putting in the hours without being too impatient.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You are correct (about Ascension day)! :lol: Seriously, you do have to play tunes also. If it's not fun, you won't stick with it.