Finding it difficult to play high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jun 7, 2011.

1. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    Part of it will just require consistent practice and time. Like lifting weights. You can't expect to double your bench press over night or within a month.. It takes dedicated work over a long period of time. When I first picked up my trumpet <2 years ago I was lucky to hit a D or E on the staff. Last night I played a double octave C scale from below the staff to above the staff. This is not high as defined before... High note trumpet playing is when you start seeing the paint peel off the wall e.g. Maynard Ferguson.

The higher notes will come with time, just be patient.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Saile, in 5 years since coming back I have gained an octave. This is with no more than an hour a day, tho' I strive for more.

So with a good routine and regular work, it will come. Patience is your ally.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's my story too!

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    there was a time when I couldn't play a C scale -- but I practiced, and then turned 11 or 12 and it was there. Then I once couldn't play an F scale -- but then I turned 13 or so -- and it was there.
    the whole point is -- at one point --all of us trumpet players started at NOTHING -- and we worked to get wherever we are.
    I am a comebacker -- it took 1 yr and approx 1000 hours to actually come back and hit a Double High C (6 or so spaces above the staff C - yeah up there some where) - then another year and another 1000 hours before I could play that C (and every note up to there) on a relatively consistent basis. and now another half year and another 500 hours -- and on an occasional day -- I can make that C up there actually sound good -- OTHER DAYS I JUST CAN'T make it sound good --- and that is life -- but it takes lots of time (at least for me -- and all is not well on any given day)

so - whether it is a C in the staff, and your a student, a comebacker and it's the F on top of the staff -- or a high note guy who can't hit the Double HIGH C -- we are always somewhere - trying to improve something -- and it all takes time -- TRY NOT TO FRUSTRATE YOURSELF EVERY DAY --- it takes time and practice --- and then some again.:thumbsup:

5. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I once could play C and D, but now i can. Its just taking a long longer to be able to play F and i think its because im purely not buzzing right, which i am working on

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    AND what more can you ask of yourself??? you know the problem, and you have a goal, and you are working on the problem, and seeking the advice of others.
    I just encourage you to "keep at it" -- trumpet playing takes time, and is often frustrating -- but when you overcome all of that --- it is a very cool feeling. whatever your goal is as a trumpet player -- keep at it:thumbsup:

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    thats correct, but im having trouble tightening the side of my mouth and just end up tightening the middle part of the lips.

I will just have to give it time and work on it.

Thanks

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Remember my advice in my first post: ...don't tighten you lips so much. Relax the tension in your lips.

You are only fighting with yourself when you have to tighten so much. Take deep breaths and let your air do the work for you. AND hang in there, do not get frustrated, your first post was dated on the 7th, which was only 4 days ago. This will take a little more time, on the time scale of weeks, so please realize this so you do not get frustrated.

Frustration, anxiety and tightening up is the enemy, relaxation and self confidence in appreciating the goal will happen in a reasonable time is your friend.

9. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    i can't see how just air will produce high notes if you don't build the tension in your lips.

Ill give it a go.

Thanks

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    It's the vibration in the lips that give you the ability to change that vibratory frequency into trumpet sound frequency. If you pinch off the lips ability to vibrate with force, you are defeating yourself. Blowing air freely through more relaxed lips will lead to higher frequency vibrations and higher note.

BUT you must also have the muscle development to do this. THIS is why it takes time. Remember, your post and are advice are only 4 DAYS OLD. Please give this time.