Finding it difficult to play high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    ok then will give it some time.

thanks for your advice guys

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    HEY WATCH THIS VID!! -- and keep in mind that it is pretty difficult to put tension in the middle of your fingers.:shock:

YouTube - ‪Trumpet Playing Air Compressor!‬‏

tobylou8 likes this.
  3. Haste2

Haste2 Piano User

Jun 16, 2010
    You have to combine solid fundamentals with working on using your air as others have described. Also, paying special care to playing musically helps a long way with both fundamentals and use of air, too. If you try to make good music in everything you play, even repetitive lip slurs, practice becomes more enjoyable, and things become easier more quickly.

I know it does get frustrating when you're learning, but patience and discipline are great virtues.

4. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    thanks for the video.

I will have to learn how to do proper breathing. I always thought it was to do with your chops.

Thanks for that

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi Keith,
    I appreciate the point of this video, but I really dislike the compressed air being used on any part of the body. There have been injuries and fatalities due to air bubbles being injected into the bloodstream, or into the body. Also the use of compressed air being used in the direction of another person can be viewed as a threat.

Please thinbk about this video again.
    I will send a PM to you
    Cheers
    Peter

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
  7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    lol thanks Peter.

8. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    I thought it was a great vid. I would have liked to see what air pressure would have been needed to get notes on the stave. Say a second-line G or 3rd space C.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Coriolis Effect

Pai CH, Wei DC, Hou SP. High-pressure injection injuries of the hand. J Trauma. Jan 1991;31(1):110-2. [Medline].

Dude -- I think you worry too much -- riding your bicycle down under where the coriolis effect makes you ride backwards or something is probably more dangerousROFL

The DOCTORS will have to post on this one -- but I do believe the majority of INJECTION injuries that penetrate skin are from "injection systems" with psi's ranging from 2,000 to 10,000 psi. AND not the 80 psi. that Keith was demonstrating with. Injection injuries also usually involve a foreign substance like hydraulic, diesel, or other oils and foreign substances.

****disclaimer -- I think everyone should refrain from using their air compressor to play their trumpet -- it could be counterproductive, and may induce injury, as there is no cure for stupidity (ie, putting the hose in your mouth, ear, or rectum to try and gauge what air pressure feels like)-- I think they should put the horn to their face and play that way**********

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Kingtrumpet, with all the physician fees you have been accumulating through consults here on TM, I will give you a break on this one. You really should go with your gut feeling which is usually right (I believe you posted somewhere in the 94% ball park). Having physicians give additional recommendations may actually lower these odds [as I detailed in a previous post], and it will surely decrease you wallet size.

I am going out on a limb here, but, I really liked the video posted by KT. It demonstrates extremely well the physics and role pressure plays at vibrating a biological membrane (fingers in the video, lips on the actual trumpet player). I do not agree with Keith saying it's fine to try this at home, this is an experiment performed as an example and left at that. As noted in KT's disclaimer, using an air compressor against any portion of the body at any distance presents harmful risk.