Finding places to practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flugelgirl, Jun 21, 2010.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I flew in to San Diego yesterday, and just have to share something that made my day! I had a layover in Philidalphia, and decided to visit the USO lounge. It's a really nice facility - food, games, kid's play area, nap rooms, games, reading room-all very nice. What impressed me the most, though, is that when I asked them if they might have a corner I could go in with a practice mute, they provided a space for me! I got to spend 45 mins practicing in an empty phone both that they were kind enough to let me use, and had some undisturbed time with my horn that really helped me relax and focus during my long travel day! For any of you with access to a USO, what a great option!
    I figured it would be nice to share this, and hope that if some of you have found any good places to practice while on the road or even at home that you'll share them here. :play::thumbsup:

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    United Service Organizations, isnĀ“t that for
    military people who need some recreation?

Would anyone else have access?

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Sofus, She's Navy..........Buck:oops:

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I bet they would offer the same to a vet!! USO was my second home in the mid 60s in 'frisco.

Too bad there was no flugleygirl there! (There were, however, some other nice young ladies)

Anchors Aweigh!!

5. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I'd give her a place to practice any day:play: Just to listen to the good sounds.........Buck:oops:

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    USO rocks. I don't carry my DD-214 around with me but I'm a vet and if I needed 'em I'm sure they'd be there.

I was gonna suggest the local park and stuff.

7. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    How?

8. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Guess i'd have to confiscate her practice mute!:roll::oops:

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    You're silly, Buck! You know how most of the excersizes we have to do to stay in shape aren't neccesarily fun to listen to! I was trying to explain that to my realtor yesterday - trying to explain why a detached house is neccesary, since no one wants to live on the other side of the wall from me! :lol: One of the houses I looked at actually had an old '50s bomb shelter in the back yard - talk about a wild practice room!

10. Buck with a Bach

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Guess that would be for the more "explosive" passages!:lol::-?:roll::oops: