Finding places to practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by flugelgirl, Jun 21, 2010.

1. ManGo

ManGo Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2008
    London
    [​IMG]

2. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, guys!

Another place to practice might be at a local school. My wife and I briefly lived in Wheaton, IL and had small apartments (we weren't married as yet) and were afraid of annoying the neighbors with our playing. We found that we could drive over to Wheaton College and find empty practice rooms that were unlocked and practice there. Never asked permission, but were never asked to leave, either. ;-)

Local high schools might be convinced to allow a neighbor to use their practice rooms if asked nicely. Might even be a way to get some trumpet students, if you're a good player and want to teach!

Something to think about, anyway...
    Guy

3. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I'd bet just about any local church that has a secretary working durring the week would have plenty of places to play. I play at the local Methodist church in the sanctuary with great acoustics. Best wishes.

4. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    This is why, although this trailer is drafty (I've repaired the larger wall-holes so far) buggy, has a gas stove that wants to kill me, and is literally falling apart, I''m GLAD to be here since it's actually the first time in my life I've lived in a place where I can practice with absolutely no worries about how good, bad, or indifferent I sound, and as LOUD or *quiet* as I like.

I may have a teacher soon, he wants to come down where I am to teach, we may have a dedicated building to do it in too. Not this trailer. I was thinking a park in say, the town of San Martin, which I'm closer to than downtown Gilroy. Then I thought, Wait .... there's the uh, building. Actually, come to think of it, there's another structure here that could work too.

This is something really lacking..... freedom to practice. When I was a kid you could tell when the kids got their band instruments, you could hear 'em all up and down the street and no one back then would think of complaining, it was just one of the sounds of life. Now, if I lived in an apartment, I'd have to go to a park or something.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maria, I just found a room named, Maria
    And suddenly that name, will never be the same, to yoooooooou!

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I gotta admit it, Maria beats the Church sanctuary.

7. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    When I travel, I have been granted access to everything from a hotel banquet room, conference rooms, underground garages, back stairwells, and some sort of phsyical plant room. My favorite of all time was the grand banquet hall of the Biltmore Hotel in Providence RI. I desparately try to never miss a practice, even on the road. I however have to compromise on the number of sessions. When I travel it is usually a one-hour session toward the evening.

DK

8. lou gonzalez

lou gonzalez New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    henderson nv
    i used to park under a freeway overpass...then a big vacant shopping center...and when i moved to las vegas-i parked by the henderson airport, and now we have a big house, our neighbors have been foreclosed on...so i can play all day no worries/at night, i still drive to the nearest office complex and blow my brains out no worries...
    in some hotels, i would fill the closet with clothes, stick the bell up an overcoat sleeve, and play mf for a few hours...

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Hey Flugelgirl - when you practice in a phone booth, do you need to wear a cape and must your undies be on the outside? :shock:

10. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Wow, you just gave me a great idea. The building my department is housed in at the University has an old fallout shelter. I'm reminded of the stairwells in my high school where we would practice Christmas carols before parading from classroom to classroom.

- Steve-O