Finding Private Lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ness, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    I just graduated high school, been playing for about 8 years total (about 2 years really seriously). I wish to get better at the instrument, and I have been practicing during this start of summer, however, I realize that receiving private instruction may not be a bad idea. Where does anybody recommend I start to look (I'm not very experienced in this area, and I don't really know very many people that have gotten private lessons)?

2. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Lessons are far from a bad idea!

Well, it would help us if we knew where you are from. I know of 2 players off the top of my head that give skype lessons, Bob Grier(I believe that is the correct spelling, my apologizes if it is not) and Trent Austin. I do not know the rates though.

Just thought of another, but he costs some big bucks. Adam Rapa, he is a big name in the trumpet community. Pricey, but come on, its with Adam Rapa...

3. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Sandoval gives lessons for $110/h I read online. And yeah to say the least I know who Adam Rapa is :D

I live in South eastern WI.

4. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I am not familiar with WI teachers, I think someone here may.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Try calling a local university department of music. Even if you're not a music major, even if you're not in college, it is highly likely you will get a professor that will have an open schedule (summer IS the best time) for giving lessons.

While in high school, this is how I got one of my most valuable trumpet teachers by doing this. I called the University of Cincinnati Department of Music, and got a couple of names. I called the first one on the list, and he took me on and kept me as a student until I moved on to Graduate School. His name: Eugene Blee, principle trumpet player for the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

I think you first have to decide what kind of instruction you're looking for.

If you want "overall" type trumpet lessons I then think gmonady hit the nail on the head. A local university should be able to direct you to their trumpet professor(s). They may even be listed on-line for you to contact directly.

If you're looking for something specific like jazz/improv, big-band, lead, etc, then you should look for people in your area who are good at that and offer lessons.

7. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    PM sent.