Finding the Gap

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by dylan1, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'll have a play with that tomorrow if I get chance, it will be with my Wick 3C heavytop and I'll use the Sonora rather than Seth's Sov

2. Dviglis

Dviglis Mezzo Piano User

Mar 29, 2014
    VA
    Quite honestly, I do not pay any attention to gap at all. I am more of an old school trained player so If I think my pitch or sound is off I either pull out the main tuning slide a bit or just lip it in tune, which is not much of a problem on my Schilke 11 (=Bach 7c). I have actually been looking into other mouthpieces as I was always taught just to deal with what you got but, even though I have been playing on a 7c forever, a new mouthpiece may be beneficial to me. But, that is a tale for another thread...

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is not "old scool" to ignore gap. It is a subject where we can perhaps discover things about ourselves and our instruments. A methodical approach will let us know how critical it is and if it is applicable in our particular case. With all the BS available on the web, it is a question that deserves real data.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    My Harrelson Bravura was delivered with no thought (by me) to mouthpiece gap. I thought my Monette B6 would stand up to a bespoke trumpet and make it sing. Long story short, I purchased a Harrelson B6 SWE Mouthpiece, manufactured with my Bravura as the target trumpet, Jason did mention something about gap - guess what, that trumpet is a different kettle of fish, it is now caviar where once it was pilchards. Frankly, when it comes to mouthpieces, I think most of us are just guessing.

5. limepickle

limepickle Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Dallas, TX
  6. feedback@stomvi-usa

[email protected] Piano User

Jan 24, 2012
    Newhall California
    This is a link to information on our website concerning the Annulus or Gap.

Be sure to take a look at the videos on the bottom of the page.

Stomvi USA | Mouthpiece Components