Finding the part of the tone that is you

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Dec 5, 2012.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    To that effect how to figure out which part of the tone is unchangeable and just you, not the horn or the back bore of the mouthpiece and not the mute etc... I imagine some people don't know the difference, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    You never find it because it is a moving target. You can live it though if you have committed most of the mechanics of playing to habit.

3. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I think of it as when you no longer THINK, but enjoy and marvel in the sound as you sing through your horn. It is that essence of sound that satisfies the inner you. The trick is to get EVERYTHING sounding like you want it to and not just the easy stuff in the middle of your range. I am not there yet, although I am closer than when I started and continue toward that goal

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Good question, SmoothOperator! I try to let the trumpet "play itself." Hard to describe, like giving a horse its head when riding--you get to guide it in terms of general direction, but it finds its own path. Ugh, rough simile to follow.

I guess it is a case of finding where the instrument "sings," accepting that sound. The rest is "us" with micro dynamics, attack, release, how we connect one note to the next, vibrato etc.

Curious thing is that most players sound like "themselves" whatever instrument they play.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Once you have the mechanics down, I think "your" sound is more of the style you play, the articulations, attacks, feeling, dynamics, musicality, etc. that you put into playing. You can color that with different instruments and mouthpieces, but that's why we sound like ourselves on whatever equipment we are playing at the time.

6. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    This is exactly what I am finding, a gradual change in my sound with time, I am not worried about it, I think it is getting better.

Regards, Stuart.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We often tend to think of quality, competence or even honesty as solitary actions. Fact is, nothing about our lives is static. Think about all of the one-hit stars from the casting shows (or one hit snipers........). What is GREAT today can be a curse tomorrow. We need to keep taking the small steps forward and never assume the attitude that we have reached "success". As we mature, so does our musicality, tone and ease with which we can communicate mood. By the time that we have found something, it is already history..........

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Tone is you... the sound is everything else.

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    uhm, the part of the tone that is you, is the part that flows from within you and ends up coming out the bell end!! -- it is kind of undescribable, but you should know IT - WHEN YOU FEEL IT AND HEAR IT!!!!! yeah, the great trumpet players know what I just said, everyone else is working their way there --- keep on tooting your horn!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I feel like given my chosen technique, my palate definitely adds a subtle color to my tone. Maybe due to a certain amount of turbulence, or shape? It is hard to tell, because I won't get to play with a different palate.