Finding trumpet deals on auction sites

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Chuck Cox, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    It seems to me that not only trumpets, but, saxes, clarinets, and flutes are harder to come by at the prices I was paying just a year ago ! I thought this was supposed to be a bad economy. I'm doing much better finding great deals at flea markets and thrift stores and even C/L ! I'm not just speaking of the '42 Handcraft Committee. Even in the saxes. I'm afraid our little site has become well known. Any of you guys sensing this pattern ?

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yes, I feel your pain! A year ago, a Getzen SD could be had for less than $100. Not now,even w/a crumpled bell!

3. Zman

Zman Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    On the flipside - aren't you also able to sell horns for more as well?

Deals can still be had - but I find most of mine through a Network of players which I spent the last 2-3 building.
    It looks like you have a strategy going with the flea markets etc.
    (I'm looking for a whole whack of early Martin parts is you find any btw :cool: )

Also, one has to look a little deeper and cast the net a little wider to find the bargains. I noticed that as some horns come into favor (for example the Committee) others fall out and can be had for a lot less.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It will change again. Just wait until the next shipment of shiny silver plated horns arrive from the far east....................

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Robin is correct and you are correct Chuck ... I think people get into this .. probably because of the economy and give it a whirl... but it is alot of work. I am not sure people will stick with it. The Conntellations seemed to be going for more earlier this year and now their priced dropped.... just as the Committees have gone up .. I figure it will go back soon enough. I am also counting on people who bought the Committees deciding that they are too hard to play and unloading them in 6 months.. one can hope.

6. Zman

Zman Pianissimo User

Dec 24, 2008
    Vancouver, Canada
    Specifically in the Martin line Commitee's are up around $300-$400 from a year ago depending on which one you are looking at and the condition. The big surprise for me are the imperials - they doubled in price in the last 12 months. I suspect as people are looking for cheaper alternatives.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I've kinda noticed that as well. Even the Conn Director cornets have gone up about $20-$30 over what they were. There's even a Coprion on there listed at over $300+, don't think he'll get it, but it's up there anyway.........Buck:oops::dontknow:

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    The key word there is WORK!! :lol::lol: Most people looking to make a quick buck, and when it gets too hard, find another "calling". Estate sales seem good now. Compared to furniture and other big ticket items, a horn is an afterthought to most.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Bidding or buying musical instruments on all online auctions or sales is pretty much like buying a "pig in a poke" and one can expect to pay as much or much more to again put the instrument in optimum playable condition. It an about face to the advice recommendation of "Play before you pay". Of course, anyway you look at a proposed acquisition, it helps a great deal if you know quite a bit about the instruments or consult with someone who does. I particularly like estate sales as is where I acquired most of my power tools, but too have bought a lot of recorded and sheet music for piano. I've yet to find a brass instrument at one, but have found and bought several reed instruments including my daughter's first saxophone. In those areas where they are held, the unclaimed police recovered merchandise provide a viable resource for musical instruments, but in many areas these are now donated to schools or charities or even sent to remote disaster areas. I did get two trumpets from Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office (DRMO) as I really suspect were Special Service loaners rather than those of a military band. I did go to Dahlgren VA the last time musical instruments were advertised, but saw nothing I then wanted as perhaps the "good stuff" had already been sold before I got there. Still, I find the prices on their items to be favorable. My last 2 buys have been from local newspaper ads. Yard sales don't have much to offer but I look only if I happen to see them when I'm in the area. I've now on hand a cost inventory of just $780 upon which I expect to further spend at least a third more to get rehabbed to student quality playability. Otherwise, I'm looking.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    You know Chuck... I go back and delete some of my listing prices just because of the internet thing .... I mean once it's here it's on forever right?
    Maybe the trumpet is coming in vogue again ... Chris Botti tickets are over $100 starting price here .... not bad huh