Finger button noise

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kelley, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    My wife gave me for Christmas a set of decorative finger buttons for a Kanstul Chicago. The original buttons are flat on the underside. The new ones are concave and hollow on the underside and make a distracting metal-on-metal sound when firmly depressed against the casing. Does anyone have any solutions?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Your alignment has likely changed and you also might want to put some cork under the button. Most efficient would be taking this horn to the shop and having it realigned with the new buttons.

Tom

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Two options:
    1) Put the OEM buttons back on. I know - call me Mr. Obvious, but metal on metal doesn't sound necessarily good for the horn and it is at least a known-good option until...
    2) Likely be a vertical alignment issue and a good tech might be able to solve it.

4. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    The buttons are actually designed for the horn, so I guess alignment is unlikely to be changed. My shop is two hours away, so I am looking for a quick fix.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Call me Captain Obvious but are your top and bottom caps screwed on tightly?

6. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    I have heavy-weight bottom caps with tension adjusted for the appropriate valve, the new decorative buttons are tight. The noise is not in the valve casing itself, but is where the concave button comes in contact with the top of the casing, externally, on all three valves.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ummm, if you have metal against metal, then you simply need to solve that without screwing up valve alignment. The fix is other felts or rubber washers, but they have to be the correct thickness to insure alignment. If you are good with a hobby knife, one bottle of red wine is all that it costs (only to get the cork of course). It gets cut into proper shape and thickness and gone is the click. Rubber or "synthetic" washers can do the same thing, but again, alignment is an issue and too thick or thin will screw up the response of the horn.

8. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    That's a great reply Rowuk, and thanks. i'll work on it. By the way, I read almost every comment you make on this site- always straight forward, practical, and easily understood, even for the aging physician that I am.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Is it the outside of the button that's hitting the cap? Downward alignment is pretty easy to check - just pull the 2nd valve slide, press the valve down, and see if the holes line up. If the valve is going down too far, then a felt (or cork) under the button will probably fix both the alignment and the noise.

10. Kelley

Kelley New Friend

Jul 18, 2011
    Thanks Dale. I'll check that as well. And yes, it's the outside rims of the finger buttons that are hitting the top of the casings.