Finger Dexterity? How important is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alexbegins24, Oct 29, 2008.

1. alexbegins24

alexbegins24 New Friend

May 28, 2008
    I have been playing for a little under a year now. I have progressed quickly as my teacher tells me and this is encouraging. I have been worried though that because I don't have the best finger dexterity this will really limit my playing capacity. So if I wanted to play fast jazz or classical pieces with odd or technical fingerings, how impaired would I be as player?

2. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Don't be impatent you have a lot of time to develop your fingers. The important thing is not to rush things. The point is to develop good playing habits and good fundamentals. remember the foundation of anything is its strongest point. I know how you feel I wanted to "get there" real fast but I had good teachers who keep me on track.

enjoy your trumpet.

Bob G

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Tell us what you are working on right now. Can you play the first Clarke technical study at the speed Clarke suggests?
    You must patiently work on dexterity, it does not come overnight.
    Quite frankly, you are a beginner. Don't expect to be able to play like a player who has worked at it for many years.
    Wilmer

Schwab likes this.
  4. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    Right as usual, wilmer. He is absolutely correct. Don't rush those fingers into moving faster than the lightning bolt of zeus, but concentrate on using them right. I see a lot of kids in my band class play with the middle of their fingers, and my director said it is not a good habit.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Everyone is assuming that because you are a beginner, you are young. I'll take a whack at another possibility, you are older and just starting to play.

My hands have been stiffening up for the past several years and I've developed some arthritis. This definitely has hindered my playing some. I particularly find myself having trouble if I want to play something quickly that requires a bunch of notes around low c-e, especially the things that require all three valves, one and three, and two and three. I can work around it, but it has definitely had an effect.

So, everyone else is correct....you'll develop dexterity as you practice and mature as a player, but if you have physical problems with the hands, this will definitely take some toll on things.

Practice your chromatic scales. Slow and even (use a metronome). Then at least a couple of times a week, play them a few times just nudging your metronome forward a bit to push yourself....

bigtiny

6. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    If you are having some trouble with arthritis in the hands, My mom (not joking) uses this horse joint stuff that her friend told her about and said it works great. Its a gel and smells like mint. Look it up.

7. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Regardless of age, playing ability or any reason other than not being able to move all your fingers (which arthritis can cause, I hope you find some relief Bigtiny) you should heed Wilmer's advice. Get your self a copy of Clarke's Technical Studies and follow the directions closely. Start at the slowest metronome setting suggested, trust me... it is going to seem ridiculous at first, but the point is to develop patterns that engrain in your muscle memory. Don't move your metronome settings until you have the current speed PERFECT! If you accept mistakes at this point, you will continue to make them later. It is all about developing patterns that "just happen" so you don't have to think about everything at once.

Keep us updated!

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Age, I'm afraid, has nothing to do with this specific post. A beginner is a beginner :-)
    There are no shortcuts. I don't expect a beginner to be able to play "The Carnival of Venice." Most players are still working on fundamentals with only a year under their belt.
    Be patient!
    Wilmer

9. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    It´s not just a matter of fast fingers, alexbegins24!

Since fast fingers aren´t of much use until they´re coordinated with your tonguing, you should work on tonguing and fingering at the same time.
    It WILL require a lot of patience, but you´ll get there little by little.

Do not work on only your fingers.
    That´s like having bulky arm muscles and skinny legs! :cool:

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    There is a visual for you! ROFL