Finger Dexterity? How important is it?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alexbegins24, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Everyone has given good advice but dont forget to bang down those valves , it helps with accuracy, evenness and eventualy speed on the Clarke studies.

2. westview1900

westview1900 Piano User

Nov 30, 2005
    This following rule applies to everything in life in instances where the brain must be trained to subconsciously work. You must be as slow as it takes to be accurate, then speed up. Never sacrifice accuracy for speed. Mendez said to play fast, first you must play slow.

Details on Mendez Clinic

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    I take your point Wilmer, and I'm not trying to be argumentive, but if Age is accompanied by age-related problems like arthritis, then it (along with the need to do exactly the practicing you have recommended) could have something to do with it. That was my point.

bigtiny

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have many friends with arthritis who are world class players. Their approach to playing is the same as described here. Slow, meticulous practice will get the desired results.
    One friend, Murrry Karpilosky, had a case of gout that is painful even to observe. He showed me that it can be done, but you must do it slowly.

Wilmer

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The biggest danger is not being depressed because of lack of speed, it is the aquisition of BAD HABITS because of rushing the issue. Get yourself a Hymnbook-HUNDREDS of easy tunes that can be played very musically without heavy duty fingers. Get the stuff that you need NOW in your head - not the stuff for 2 or 3 years out!!!!!!!!

6. alexbegins24

alexbegins24 New Friend

May 28, 2008
    Thank you all for promptly replying to my thread. I have been given a lot of helpful advice. My reason for assuming I do not have the dexterity on the trumpet partly comes from my lack of dexterity on the piano. Luckily I do not have arthritis ( I am only 25) but I think my fingers are stiffer than usual. Particular thanks to wiseone2 for mentioning wonderful players you know who suffer from physical problems yet continue to play wonderfully. This is very encouraging.
    Also I do not have Clarke's Technical studies but I do have Arban's Conservatory method and several other helpful books.

7. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Do you crack your knuckles? If so, stop. I found this hindered me on guitar, and about a month or so after I stopped I began to have faster fingers.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    are you taking private lessons or just it the band? A good private trumpet teacher wii help you to progress faster than just being in the band.