Finger oil

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SpiritDCI08, May 11, 2009.

1. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    In drum corps they made us wear gloves to keep the oils and sweet off the horn to perserve them. I was wondering if you guys wore gloves or wiped your horn off after playing. I try to but I sometime don't have time/or forget.

What's your guy's thoughts?
    Is it harmful to the silver?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I thought they made you wear them so you all look uniform.......

3. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I tried mittens, but had trouble with the octave key :roll:

4. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I use valve guards now,
    but I know a fellow who holds horns with a sort cloth/rag and that way he can switch easily between horns (and is a lot cheaper). I don't think i've ever seen gloves outside of marching

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I've never used a cloth or gloves, but I guess my skin isn't that acidic because I don't even have the "normal" fading aroung the valve casings. I use a gig bag and not a hard case, so maybe that has something to do with it...

6. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Actually we used a cheap pair of marching gloves, we used em since we were marching so fast and all, so we could get used to holding our horns and doin our visuals in gloves. Freshman thought it was cool the rest of us thought it was plain dumb. Our performing gloves are bleach white and are very slick:D

7. SpiritDCI08

SpiritDCI08 Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Campbell, KY
    The gloves serve many different purposes
    Like already mentioned they are used to get used to performing in gloves
    They are also used to keep finger oil and the majority of your sweat of the horn.
    Even when no in official rehearsal we would be punished for carrying or even touching our horns with out gloves.
    We would joke that when we showered with our horns we should be wearing gloves just in case the caption head was to show up.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    :oops: I regularly use cotton gloves when practicing - it reduces the cleaning required on shiney horns - and I so like shiney - but it makes it hard to handle the scores. :oops: