Finger/tongue coordination?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cantplaytrumpet, Oct 28, 2012.

1. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Hey everybody,
    Just asking if anyone knows any good exercises that'll help me to keep my fingers in time with my articulation?
    When I do legato tonguing notes seem to roll over into the next attack...
    It seems that my first two fingers are fine and do as I say, but the dreaded ring finger just isn't listening. (And yes, I've realised that shouting at it won't help!). ROFL
    Also, it's gotten chilly all of a sudden, so if anyone has any nice ways to keep fingers warm and agile, it'd be nice to know. (I've tried gloves but me fingers keep slippin off the valve buttons, and I nearly dropped the trumpet...) :-(
    Anyway (I always seem to ramble on) thanks again. :)

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Try some simple, relatively slow trills in the middle register, then add tongue, like four slurred and four tongued, then increase the intervals.

Have fun!

3. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I find that for me, it is a matter of concentration and focus. Vulgano Brother's suggestion should help. Also, make sure that you are making your valve changes decisively. Even when you are playing a legato section, slam the valves down so that your changes are clean. Just don't get too overzealous and rush the tempos.