Fingering for Bass trumpet & etc

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by BrassBandMajor, Feb 13, 2018.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Hello fellow doublers,

I played in an ensemble recently and learnt that our trombone player will be leaving next year. So, I have decided to start self-teaching myself the bass trumpet or the rotary tenor horn (German one). I hear the fingering is same up to some extent but you have to play the fingering a tone above the reading note? E.g. If you play C, you have to press 1 & 3 (for d on a trumpet?).

Can someone confirm this?

2. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    All depends on what Key the instrument is pitched, and other odd factors that I am sure others know about. If it is a Bb pitched instrument, then indeed you would have to transpose concert pitch music up one step. I suppose you can fumble around with a tuner and find out what fingerings do what on your own, but getting the information from a seasoned player would be the way to go, if you ask me.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    tobylou8, True Tone and Dennis78 like this.
  3. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Was Colorado...now Utah
    Change the fingering or just transpose?

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Bass clef trombone music is written for a C instrument, to play on a Bb bass trumpet transpose up a tone, this is a better choice than a tenor horn usually pitched in Eb or F, if in F then transpose down a fourth which is often out of the horns range or up a fifth which will be in the wrong register.

Regards, Stuart,

True Tone likes this.
  5. BigDub

BigDub Utimate User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Well, transposing would essentially be changing the fingering, you say tomato, I say tomah-to

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Learn the slide Trombone in Bass Clef, and keep the Bass Trumpet for reading the Treble Clef.
    As already said, the Tenor Trombone is written in Concert in Bass Clef, so you need to transpose Bass Clef.

I chose to keep the Bass Clef for Slide, then use Brass Band Type arrangements in Treble Clef for the Valves instruments.
    Tenor Clef is easy to transpose for Bb valved instruments.

I played Euph in a Lower Brass Ensemble, but only read Tenor or Treble for the Euph.

Just my opinion.

BigDub likes this.