Fingerings for a 2 valve G soprano bugle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ness, May 2, 2012.

1. Ness

Ness New Friend

Nov 3, 2011
    Like the ones that they used in old school DCI (the commandant's own uses them if I'm not mistaken), and where could you get one? Just curious :D

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Just pretend you're playing a trumpet that doesn't have a 3rd valve. 1 and 2 are the same as a trumpet when you're reading in G. This means that you can't play some low notes, but those are the breaks.

I doubt that anyone makes them new anymore, so you'll probably have to look on eBay or maybe contact a Senior Drum and Bugle corps to see if they'll part with one.

What you can still do is purchase a new 3 valve G bugle from Kanstul. The Kanstul Powerbore is by FAR the best G bugle available (in my opinion obviously):

Kanstul.com

3. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    hold down your 3rd valve on a Bb and play something with your two other valves.
    that is essentially what you get for available notes.

4. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    It's easier to explain if you imagine that you are playing a trumpet with the third valve taped down.

Kanstul will still make two-valve bugles, but the cost is higher than for a three-valve model. The reason for the higher price is because parts have to be machined in very small quantities (there is little call for two-valve G bugles anymore).

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    There has been a rash of USMC "G" Bugles on eBay the last two months. The GSA unloaded a bunch in a govenrment surplus auction and the guys that bought them have been flipping the horns online. I got one just to play TAPS for BAA gigs on an authentic military used bugle rather than a trumpet or a boy scout bugle.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for the feedback Charles!

7. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    I recently got a DEG Dynasty II 2 valve bugle, and its a fantastic horn for fun. If you want a challenge, whip that thing out during an improv session, are you brave enough?

8. Wondra

Wondra Pianissimo User

Mar 29, 2007
    Of course I'm brave enough...in certain keys :)