Finished - Complete Fingering Chart

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GijsVis, Aug 19, 2012.

1. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and whether your a hero -- or even a zero -- that is still something - isnt it???? and we all know something is better than nothing!!!!!!!!!

2. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    I think the primary fingering for F# above high C should technically be open? It is actually part of the harmonic series (though it's apparently 50 cents flat). Likewise for the Ab, Bb and B natural above high C, they should probably be open I think? I guess it comes down to the horn and player in the end, though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    not to argue anything here ---- but, I think some of us players have been playing that F# with the 2nd valve ---- and the point being -- with any alternative fingerings ---- where we LEARN to play the note (in tune) is likely to have a lasting impact.
    If, I had learned to play the F# open -- and consequently "learned" to play the note in tune --- then I would use that.

so -- I am not sure anything (natural fingerings, or alternatives) is actually wrong --as long as the player has "learned" to play it there -- IMHO

4. Pete Anderson

Feb 27, 2008
    Good point, and we don't usually play the Bb below high C open even though that's also technically part of the harmonic series... I just find that on my horn, at least, the F# is way out of tune with 2nd valve or 123, and I have much better results just playing it open. So maybe at the least open should be added to the alternate fingerings!

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    that seems fair enough --- I think a lot depends on the person. some older chaps here might have learned on the G bugles of the drum corps in the 70's or 80's --- and I think they have only 2 valves, and different fingerings also. a very interesting thing -- "how each individual learns to play an instrument"

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well I have been enlightened! I noticed as I have made F# and G more solid (above high C), the F# was more in tune open than when using 2nd valve. Thought I was just making a mistake. Thanks Pete!

7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Thanks for your work.

There were some fingerings I didn't even know.

Now can you make the high notes easier?

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I might try that -- but I "think" my embouchure has it learned to play with only the 2nd valve --- hey, this might be one for the "stupid posts thread" -- what if I mess up the "muscle memory" part of already having the High F# with the 2nd valve??? Hey, where is a doctor when you need him??? how many attempts do you have to make, before you mess up the "muscle memory" part of the embouchure????

9. Pete Anderson

Feb 27, 2008
    I don't think this is worth worrying about at all? I use alternate fingerings for things all the time and I think it's a good thing to be able to. For instance, sometimes depending on what note of a chord I'm playing, I might need to play a D in the staff as 1 and 3 instead of 1 to make it in tune (only really noticeable if it's sustained for a while).

10. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    I never found an open F#, I'll try it tomorrow (I'm in bed already) and I'll add it as alternative fingering in an update :) Thanks!