First concert in over forty years.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlou, Oct 7, 2005.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Manny; I know that this will seem like a 'small potatoes' deal to someone like you, but, to me it was a biggie. I play second chair solo cornet in the Zeeland Mi. Community Band. We performed an outdoor concert at the local harvest festival stree fair yesterday evening. The line up was
    Colonol Bogey
    Main stree celebration
    Over the rainbow
    Dixieland Jam
    The cowboys
    Irish tune in county Derry
    Irish party in Third Class
    Bill Bailey
    76 Trombones
    Our audience was of a pretty good size, sitting at picnic tables out in the street. Their applause was loud and sufficient persistance while they were standing, that we did an encore, American Patrol.
    I had forgotten the feeling of playing a concert well, and, as My wife and I walked back to the parking lot to my van, I was congratulasted by several people for the "best band concert we have heard in years". I know that to you, this doesn't mean much, with all of the adulation heaped on you by the Minn. public, but, to me it was a fine feeling.

OLDLOU>>

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Actually it means a lot.

You played that show because you had the guts to pick up a horn and make a go of it after, how many years? and do well enough to support the solo cornet chair. AND you did it because you love it, not because you were getting a check for it. Now, just because one gets paid for playing doesn't mean one doesn't love it. It's just that we pros are in awe of the amateurs that practice when they could be doing other things that would give them pleasure without the hassles accompanying puting a recalcitrant peice of brass tubing up to your face.

May you have many years ahead of you of smickety smack licks and [email protected] hits (to quote our resident Southwest philosopher, Clarence).

ML

3. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Old Lou

Sounds as though it was a terrific concert and I wish I'd have been there :-) .

A piece of advice though. Let your audience be your judge and gauge as to how well you played. What matters is how well you sound and how much of your soul you put into a concert. Great job. In those respects every musician is equal :-)

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Manny, as much as your comment is appreciated, I'm sure that you realize that we amateurs do it because we love it. Pure and simple! I get as much kick out of a great rehearsal... when the fingers are flying, the notes are "there" and everyone is listening to each other as I do out of a concert (of course, a concert with a "full house, appreciative" audience is always the frosting on the cake).

Speaking of which (how's that for a segue?).........

[​IMG]

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Community band concert

Manny; I knew when I posted my message to you that you would have something good to say to me to encourage me ever onward. I can't tell you how good I felt after that concert and after the comments from the audience. My wife made a very astute statement about any kind of performance. It is her contention that we as performers NEED nontalented people, like herself, to be an appreciative audience. It is what keeps us trying to excell.

OLDLOU>>