First day back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Gentle sightreaders,

So, we had our first rehearsal of the season yesterday and I thought about y'all many times during the day when I was on stage. I thought about you because I was having such a damned good time. My thoughts went back and forth between the pros that have shared my experiences with their own colleagues and those of you that are students and are working towards doing what we do.

The first of two rehearsals started at 10 AM and was solely Beethoven's 7th. Osmo dove into it with both feet and no looking back. It's a tough symphony also known as the "Dance" symphony of Beethoven. We quickly realized that Osmo is going for that feeling of being between a dance and a firestor,. To that end he made some rhythmic corrections in the way people tend to play the famous dotted eighth-sixteenth-eighths and I tell you, old habits die hard. It was so refreshing for me to hear someone FINALLY attend to this rhythm that I left the rehearsal at 12:30 elated and refreshed But hungry. Took care of that after a walk down Nicollet Mall and got one of those Asian chicken green salad things that's getting popular. Washed it down with a cup of coffee and after a short walk felt very ready for the next rehearsal at 1:35 PM.

I think my days of big, heavier lunches are over. I felt much lighter and alert during the second rehearsal that that's going to be the way to go from now on.

The second rehearsal was the full orchestra as it was to prepare for an outdoor concert at a bandshell on one of the many lakes here in town. This lake is the most popular one and it's called Lake Harriet. It'll be a free show to let people know we're back in business. Brits, we're playing one of Sir Edward Elgar's tunes I've bever played before called "The Wand of Youth". It's typical Elgar: big full orchestration and flowing from one instrument cleanly and logically. He was an incredible orchestrator and really had a homogeneous sound in his ear. The last movement should be titled "Rafafel Mendez Visits London". There are a serious of cornet solo-like passages that sound quite brilliant and fun to play because they sound harder than they are. Yay, us!

Tcaikovsky Pathitique 3rd movement is being served up as well and that gives me a chance to tell you about the gentleman that is subbing for Chuck Lazarus. His name is Marty Hodel and he is currently the trumpet doc over at St. Olaf college. He's obviously having to take some time off of that gig to play with us. Originally, Bob was going to play second to me on the Tchikovsky but at the last minute I said that I wanted to have Marty sit in the hot seat so he could get used to playing more than just 4th trumpet on a Strauss polka and Stars and Stripes Forever. He grabbed the music and looked at it for about 15 minutes and sat next to me to play. It was fun because obviously he has a lot to figure out in a fairly short time and I can't imagine how much he had to process instantly. A little louder here, a little longer there, a little more marcato here... poor guy. But I could also tell he was having the time of his life and it was fun. He's going to have to get used to me talking incessantly until just before his next entrance. I did that to Chuck his whole first season just to mess with him and it got to be a big joke between us.

G-d, it was great to see everybody and get right into it. This is my 29th year of doing this and the only difference between now and when i was a rookie was I'm not AS stupid as I used to be. It's as much fun, no, more than it's ever been and I'm getting jazzed up thinking about getting ready for today's rehearsal; Beethoven 7th again, Tromba Lontana (duet for two trumpets and orchestra) by John Adams, Bolero, and Beethoven 4th piano concerto with Andre Watts.

Yeah, Mel... I love this job, too.

ML

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Manny, I'm jealous - you have the best job in the world! :D

One day I have to make an effort to get out there and hear that orchestra - the lineup of music you have been describing sounds delicious.

3. PH

PH Mezzo Piano User

Dec 2, 2003
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Manny-

Tell Marty I said hello! He's an old friend and former student...a VERY good closet jazz player and he really knows his way around picc literature.

Isn't it great to have a job you love? :D

4. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    PH,

Yes, will do... and also, I know about about that swingin' skeleton in Marty's closet and believe me, we'll make good use of it when the opportunity comes up!

Glad to hear you know Marty!

ML

5. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Once more I am riddled with envy at the job ML has....

But you misspelled my favorite composer's name....shame on you! The next time y'all play Tchaikovsky I'll be askin' that you highlight the name on the top of the score.... :bleah:

6. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Yikes! I did it twice!

"Tchaikovsky!"

"Gesundheit."

ML

7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That is a serious big league program. Ouch :cool:
    Give Andre a hug. I have known him since he was a teen.
    Wilmer

8. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Will do, Wilmer. Afetr this show, however, I think it's I who's going to need the hug!

ML

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Those works you are doing are some of the most challenging in the repertoire.
    Give them heck :lol:
    Wilmer

10. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Very cool to hear you're having a lot of fun, Manny. Your enthusiasm is infectious :cool: