First day back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Sep 14, 2005.

1. wrbandel

wrbandel Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Manny,

Can't wait to hear you at Lake Harriet. My wife and I are planning on coming up for that concert. Nothing better then to listen to wonderful music, outdoors.

Warren

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny,

I only wish I lived close enough to come see you. I just moved from the Metro Detroit area to Columbus, Georgia so I guess that's out. I did find a group down here to play with The Bob Barr Community Band so I'm back in the groove.

We had our first rehersal last Monday 9/13/05 and I really like what I heard. It's funny how time can change a person, when I was in Jr. High and High school you'd never see me sitting less then 1st chair sectoin lead. I walked in, and was asked to play 3thd part and didn't even bat an eye. I was so glad just to be in the band!

You are an inspiration to me, I read a lot of what you post and you've helped me more then you'll ever know.

Thanks for just being there!

John

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It sounds like a blast Manny. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Tell Marty that I said hello as well. We attended Eastman together 1995-96. He was doing his DMA while I was doing my MM. He has a good knowledge of German and we loved it when he would correct Charlie in solo/excerpt class. LOL.

4. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    To that end he made some rhythmic corrections in the way people tend to play the famous dotted eighth-sixteenth-eighths and I tell you, old habits die hard.

Manny,

Could you expound on this a bit?

5. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    I believe the proper spelling is Chaikovskii.
    -Jimi

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bless you!

Seriously, I can't imagine than there is a "correct' way to spell a transliterated word or name that doesn't have it's origins in Engish characters. We have too many variaitions for a given sound to say that there's only one way. Now, your spelling is the one accepted by the Library of Congress, I believe, but it's become antiquated.

Remember Mao Tse Tung? Of course not, you're too young. Well, now the accepted spelling is Mao Zhedong. He used to rule form Peking. Now, it's Beijing. How about the old Koran. Lately, the way to spell it is Q'uran.

Chinese has different characters, as do Arabic and Russian. We get as close as we can but you can come up with myriad variations.

ML

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    To get up and go to work...and have that be to play Beethoven, Tchaikovski, Elgar, Strauss, Mahler, Bach or anything else you do...at the level you do it...man. I'd be jazzed, too.

Very inspirational, Manny. Thanks.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    So, we had our season opening night and it was a blast...

The Tromba Lontana was a gentle opener after the national anthem and the crowd ate up the Beethoven. I was ready to go home after that but Osmo had other plans...

After intermission, Andre Watts played an elegant, stunning Beethoven 4th concerto. Wilmer, I wish you could have the seen the smile on Andre's face when I passed on your greeting. he mentioned the Shostakovitch piano concerto that you played together so many years ago. I think he said that's when he met you.

We finished off with Ravel's Bolero and I have to say, I haven't had that much fun playing it since my days in Seattle. The best moment was when Osmo stopped after a couple of measures because the audience was too noisy. It was the softest I've ever heard that opening anywhere.

Great fun!

ML

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Manny,

Congrats on a sucessful opening.
    I like Osmo stopping the orchestra and waiting for quiet.

In high school at Cass Tech in Detroit, we played a concert featuring 5 different school bands. Cass always closed the show.
    We started Overture to Candide and there was some chatter in one of the audience sections. Harold Arnoldi stopped the band, turned around and just waited for silence. Then started again.
    I like a man who is in that much control of his environment.

Best wishes for a GREAT season!

-cw-

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Manny,
    I was in line at the ticket booth picking up my student saver card as the national anthem began. I didn't want to leave, but hopefully I'll catch the whole show Friday night.
    One thing I noticed walking around the hall right before the concert (maybe 7:15-ish) with a friend is how alive the area is. There were a lot of people just hanging out, having a drink on the patio at Brit's or sitting by the fountains. The Beethoven playing from the outdoor speakers was also really cool. I've only been here in Minneapolis a few weeks, but walking around tonight and seeing a vital downtown scene with a great symphony orchestra at the center of it all was a great way to end the day (even if I have to wait a day to see the show).
    -Jimi