First day back

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Sep 14, 2005.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    Hey Jimi -- Enjoy the walks around Orchestra Hall when January hits!!! You'll just love our Minnesota winters. :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston

:-P

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Manny- Congrats on a successful opener! Are the live webcasts going to continue this year via the website? Minnesota is a bit too far for me to drive for a concert...

4. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    My mom saved all the reviews that mentioned my name. While looking through some of her old scrapbooks, I came across the review of the concert I played with Andre. He was 13 years old! I was older :cool:
    Wilmer

5. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Dear Manny:

That's a very inspiring post about how you feel when the symphony season starts.

I had a conversation with Ray Mase, my private teacher, in a lesson this week. A trumpet player we both know will be retiring from a major orchestra soon and characterises his retirement as "getting out of prison". This is disturbing: hundreds of players line up to audition for coveted orchestra jobs and look how some players feel about their positions. In this case, I know another player who retired from the same orchestra several years ago who also felt the same.

There's something amiss here don't you think? I've been playing the trumpet for not quite 47 years. I love it which, just like when you love a person, doesn't mean I like them/it all the time. It's something that's really in my soul though. Why do something so difficult, challenging, stressful and competitive when one doesn't enjoy it?

I know you've probably met lots of orchestra players who don't enjoy what they do. Any thoughts for us?

Larry Malin

PS I've recently moved to a band position in a middle school in the Bronx. Looks like I'll be calling for advice again.

6. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    I know the question was posed for Manny, but my guess would be that the problem in the case you described was the orchestra, either the conductor or the administration or both. From what Manny has said, he is fortunate enough to be in an orchestra with a genuinely friendly leadership with whom he enjoys working. Some orchestras can really make the musicians feel unapreciated but they stay there for the obvious reasons (like need to put food on the table in pro-orchestras or there's nowhere else to play in amature terms). Just my guess.

Personally, I love playing so much I can't imagine ever feeling like that. I'm so jelous of Manny! :D (I'm working on it though, I'll get there someday!)

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Y'know what, Larry?

I think there are a lot of people that think it's cool and hip to complain and that's the truth. I had a guy once tell me "Y'know why we get in this business? To get out!". I chuckled politely and said to myself "That's too bad for him."

I will never forget what it took to get myself here and will always love it. When I stop loving it, it'll be time to get out.

It's like the guy I once saw in a restaurant when cell phones were just starting to become popluar. He had it on and got a phone call. He stopped talking to the people at the table and answered it. About three minutes later he got another call and he huffed and rolled his eyes and answsered it, feigning annoyance.

If he was so annoyed he should have not had it on, obviously. But it's ever so much hipper to have this contraption and show what a bother to have this convenience no one else at the table had at the time. Well, it's the same thing: let's show what a noose around your neck it is to have a wonderfully paying, tenured, stable position that it would take an act of G-d to get you fired from. Let's especially talk that way in front of free lancers that actually know what it's like to work for a living.

Do what you love, love what you do.

ML

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    I see much the same in faculty rooms with older teachers. It can be like a cancer; so I stay away from the faculty room.

Are there days I wish I did something else? Yeah. I bet everyone feels that one day or another when frustrations pile on top of one another; there is no utopia. But I do what I do and enjoy the kids and the music we play and watching/listening to them interact with it.

9. dbacon

dbacon Mezzo Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Scottsdale, AZ.

This is really an inspiration! Studying trumpet still after 47 years! And of course I'm jealous, Ray is my absolute favorite player!!

I teach Middle School Band in Phoenix, I've been a band teacher for almost 30 years and played trumpet since 1960.

Thanks for some great inspiration!!!!