First horn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Acludwig1, Jun 28, 2017.

1. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    My first (and only) horn is the one my mom bought from the school, when I was in the 4th grade - - and I still have it and play it regularly!

1967 Holton Collegiate - - still going strong after 50 years! :D

[​IMG]

2. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Piano User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    Must be one hell of a horn

ButchA likes this.
  3. OldKing

OldKing Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2016
    NW of San Antonio
    My brother's Olds Recording cornet. I hope he still has it and knows where it is. I'm waiting for just the right time, and working on the correct approach, to inquire about it. 'Can't seem too interested. :grin:

True Tone likes this.
  4. ButchA

ButchA Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2009
    Richmond, Virginia
    Actually, and to be honest, it was just a common "school band" trumpet back in the day. Nothin' fancy... But to me, it's MINE. All the scratches, dings, tarnish, and sweat stains, all came from me over all these decades. :cool:

Dennis78, True Tone and Acludwig1 like this.
  5. Acludwig1

Acludwig1 Piano User

Nov 22, 2016
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    It has a story

True Tone and ButchA like this.
  6. Bflatman

Bflatman Mezzo Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    I just received my first horn, I was gazing at the Conn naked lady engraving at the time.

Sometimes life delivers unexpected joy

ButchA, True Tone and Acludwig1 like this.
  7. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    A 67 T-602 is one hell of a tank. They played as well as any student horn made and took just about anything you could throw at them - or sometimes throw them at (amazing how the fingers just don't grip marching in freezing temps). Remarkably durable and quite decent playing at a student price - you won't find that anymore!

8. operagost

operagost Mezzo Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I flipped a 1960s T602. It was build heavy to take punishment, for sure. But it also had nice engraving on the bell for a student horn, and the solid brass valve guides seemed like pro quality. I ended up selling it for about what I had in it-- buyer got a steal, IMHO. Everyone wants a Yamaha, but those Collegiates are probably better for actual young students if you want something that will survive!

tobylou8, ButchA, True Tone and 2 others like this.