First Lesson Last Night

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aussie Matt, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Aussie Matt

Aussie Matt Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2010
    Woohoo! I had my first lesson in about 13 years last night. It would be hard to call me a comeback player as I only played for a year way back in the late 90s. I had one of those 'turning 40' moments and realised how much I wished I'd kept playing, even if I was a late starter then. When I had a day off work and got to take my kids to their piano lessons (the parents sit in and help in a group lesson) and I saw how much they're learning I was totally inspired and determined not to let any more time go by.

So, I'm a trumpet player again:play:! I was all ready to crack into some jazz standards and show off where I've gotten up to in my recent studies and practice, but, alas, my books stayed closed. Instead we spent an hour doing breathing exercises and long tones to really slot in and hear the pitch. My new teacher is very big on laying a solid foundation (and for me to un-learn some of the bad habits I might have picked up along the way). It's great to be learning again. Maybe next week I get to play like Miles :-).

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It's great that you are taking lessons and have found a teacher who wants to teach you fundamentals. Work with the teacher, practice, do what they suggest and see how far you can go. Be patient "Rome was not built in a day".

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Congratulations! It also sound like you have a sensible teacher. Appropriate use of the fundementals is everything. Patience will be your best friend too.

DK

4. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Woohoo...I like your enthusiasim. Good luck and keep us posted on that Miles thing.

5. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Who's teaching you Matt?

6. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Hi Ozboy,
    A guy named Gary Gini at Sax, Woodwind and Brass in Camperdown in Sydney. I work in Broadway/Glebe and I wheeled in there one lunchtime and got chatting to Gary who has just moved here from Canada (I think).
    Are you looking for a teacher or a teacher yourself?
    Matt.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    I live a little far from Broadway. I have taught on and off for a number of years. I've been playing for about 38 years. Gave teaching away to concentrate on playing but I would always get a lesson from someone who I thought had something to offer. Geographic isolation makes things a little difficult though.

8. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    How far from Broadway? I live at Narrabeen and will only be working this end of Sydney until mid-year.

9. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    If you draw a lines between Grafton, Armidale and Coffs harbour, you'll probably hit me.

10. Aussie Matt

Oct 12, 2010
    Right in the middle of the National Park! A beautiful part of the country.