First lesson of My Comeback

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Yesterday marked the first lesson of my comeback trail. I felt just like a kid in school going out the door in the morning with my trumpet case in hand. My lesson is at such a time I can just make it from work on time, so it means I have to take my horn.

I was oddly a little nervous. Actually, I was quite nervous and very excited to get started. When I got to Nick Rail, my instructor was in the lesson room and I could hear him playing. OK, now I'm intimidated....:shhh:

The lesson went really well, I thought. I like my instructor; I thought he was younger than I am, but turns out he's a couple years older. I like that mo' better.

He gave me a good practice routine to start with. A good solid warm up, some range and flexibility exercises and some work out of Harold Mitchell book 1.

I came away pretty pleased. I could hear the improvement in tone in just that amount of time. The fingerings are going to come back pretty quick, I think. Having a blast so far!!

Mark

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    After a 46 year hiatus from the trumpet I started on the comeback trail about six years ago. One of my first goals was to engage the principal trumpet from our local symphony orchestra to give me some private instruction. This went well and gave me some new goals and a proper warmup method along wioth some excellent objectives. I now play in three community concert bands and actually live to play, rather than thinking that I can play to live. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

OLDLOU>>

3. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Thank you, Lou. I appreciate your interest and your insight.
    I've set very modest goals. Getting started again was goal one and I've done that. The next step is to feel comfortable enough to jump in with the community band. I'm shooting for spring, but if it happens sooner, all the better!:D

Since then, I've considered maybe a small group, or two and my instructor was telling me about a drum and bugle corps in Anaheim. I certainly never considered that; figuring instead that my marching days were over.
    I am enjoying the process and it feels good to be playing again. It gives the mind something else to think about instead of bad news, job stress and family issues. Now, I get to be a family issue since practice may be a little distracting while the women are trying to watch soap opera! :play: I've also been enjoying this forum. I really like forums in that they help cut the learning curve so much and you get to make new friends with similar interests. But then, I'm preaching to the choir, I know.

My instructor was certainly optomistic. He stated several times that he'd have me up and running pretty quickly. He was also jazzed by the Superstar and is going to give me the hookup for a good guy to massage out the dents in the bell.

Mark

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    If you have an Olds Superstar there is only one guy I would talk to about refurbishing it; Zig Kanstull. He is nearby to you in West central California. He is the guy who supervised the building of that horn.

OLDLOU>>

5. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    If you have an Olds Superstar there is only one guy I would talk to about refurbishing it; Zig Kanstull. He is nearby to you in West central California. He is the guy who supervised the building of that horn. Who could possibly know more about that fine horn and have a greater desire to bring it back to its original glory?

OLDLOU>>

6. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    For a rebuild, I agree. Massaging dents is all I'm looking for at this time. I got her all polished up now and the dents stick out like a sore thumb.

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Welcome welcome welcome back to the fold! I just started up again myself and am really excited about playing again. Good luck to you on your quest!

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Welcome back to it. My suggestion to you is to find an ensemble to be a part of as quickly as possible. Nothing will push you to get back into shape more than a little bit of real pressure to perform, and it will help to keep you motivated.

9. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Hey Mark B
    I think starting with lessons is the best way. I started a comeback after 40+ years 2 years ago. I tried to do it myself. I did ok for a while then I just hit a wall and couldn't get better. I started weekly lessons 3 weeks ago. My instructor is the other way around. I'm 55 and he is a college student. I have 2 sons older than him. We both were nervous at first. But we get along great and we both really enjoy it. He has me in a routine that works for me and it has helped alot.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    That's strange. Usually dents go IN!:lol: