First lesson of My Comeback

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Sep 1, 2010.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Sounds like he had a manic mouse running around inside.

2. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Sounds like your having a blast Mark :play:

My biggest problem right now is my chops are not very supple and im overplaying,sounding like a choking chicken ROFL
    Im actually suprised how the muscle memory is still there.

WE all have cracked a note or 2 in our day but I seem to be cracking more than sounding when doing a run :oops:

Im like WELL that really didnt sound too good :shock:

Those are not the actual words i used though.

3. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Bahahahaha! Good one on the dents. No manic mice!

It's going pretty good, so far. Motivation to practice has not been an issue to this point. In fact, I tend to go above and beyond what my instructor has laid out for me to do. I'm finding that the fingerings are coming back to me and the muscle memory. I guess all that repetition in school really drove all that home!

My sound still isn't there consistently, but I have moments where I think I sound pretty good. I crack more than my fair share of notes, but they're getting better slowly, but surely. I've really only had two practice sessions since my first lesson, so I can see progress coming quickly right now. I know it will slow down at some point and that's when I'll really need the encouragement of you folks.

Yes, having a blast so far and cannot wait to practice each evening.

Mark

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I totally agree. Last evening I drove over to Holland,Mi. to join a joint student/local musician concert band at Hope college. I was given first trumpet/cornet charts, which I played 'fairly' well, but I was enthralled by the performance of a couple of the students, both seniors and both music majors. I fully intend to do my utmost to learn from those girls that are the age of many of my grandchildren. I foresee this as a very enjoyable musical learning experience.

OLDLOU>>

5. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Going in for my second lesson tonight. I believe my instructor will be pleasantly surprised. Not only did I practice every day, but also did extra as the exercises he gave me were way too easy. I finish my practice sessions as he laid them out and still wanting for more. I don't push much beyond where my lip gets tired and I start cracking a lot of notes, but I do go at least that far before I hang it up for the night. I was astonished to find out that the fingerings are mostly coming back to me. I was ripping through some exercises farther into the book without much difficulty. Great fun and I hope my enthusiasm stays as is. This is fun, as it should be!

I'll start looking for a small ensemble. I have a few connections and live close to the University of Redlands, which has a pretty good music program. I should be able to find something.

Mark

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that community bands are wonderful opportunities for people looking to play. I played some with a local junior college community band a year or so ago and the music was fairly challenging, and it really was a sense of community with players just looking to be around other musicians and make music with other like-minded people. In the band I was a part of, there were a number of folks there who were really fine musicians, and my network increased greatly just being a part of it - I'll bet I have 10-12 Facebook contacts that came from that endeavor alone, and it led to a bit of brass quintet playing on the side as well.

If I had more time, I'd continue to do it - if for nothing else to play in a concert band again (I really enjoy concert band) and because I really liked the other folks in the ensemble.

Awesome work by the way! Your teacher will definitely be happy to have a student who works hard for them. :-)

7. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Thank you, Patrick. I just hope when I do find a group that I don't suck (or blow, as the case may be!) too bad. I was shooting for spring before I took this on. I think I want to push harder.

Mark

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    The range of ability at the community band I was in varied greatly. There were kids there, fresh out of HS who wanted to continue to play but who were otherwise pretty raw, (and that's raw for HS kids here in MD, which is not quite up to what you remember) and then there were retired folks from the nearby premier military bands who when it came to playing had been there, done that, got the T-shirt. The rest of us kind of dropped in somewhere in between.

My thought is that if you jump right in, it will be something that keeps you going, and a regular commitment to play. But you could wait for spring too - that way you'll be more comfortable with where your chops are with your comeback. I just think that it's great that you've come back to it. Heheh - the next thing you know you'll be investing in a new horn, mutes, a flugelhorn, and you'll be gigging all over the place. :thumbsup:

Mark B likes this.
  9. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    I'm loving all the encouragement. My wife said she didn't mind listening to me practice and even my teenaged daughters haven't complained, which is a compliment in and of itself!!!

I don't know about gigging, I think that's waaaaay premature. I have been feeling a little under the weather with that virus going around this board, though. I keep reminding myself, though, that my current health insurance coverage seems to be lacking in coverage for this particular ailment!

Mark

10. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Maybe for now, but who knows what the future holds. A friend of mine out here played clarinet in HS, but due to his love of jazz, particularly for Miles Davis' work, dove in and learned how to play trumpet. I think he's been going for about 10 years now, and gigs here and there doing jazz combo stuff, and he's still digging it - probably more now than ever before.

That could easily be you, and maybe quicker than you'd think. :play: