First lesson of My Comeback

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mark B, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    The lesson tonight went real well. My teacher made the comment, "Dude, you're getting your chops back!" That made me feel pretty good.

I need to take my little recorder with me, though, because I frequently miss things during the lesson. I mean, I don't practice the exercises exactly like he wants them. He's happy because I'm practicing, but I want to make sure and do it right.

Mark

2. wolfmann

wolfmann Pianissimo User

Aug 19, 2010
    Sounds like you have a good teacher.
    He has been giving you stuff to check out how serious and committed you are.
    A good teacher will ask in the first lesson what YOUR goals are and will work toward that end.
    Sounds like he is just seeing what you can handle.

3. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    Thank you, Wolfmann. Yes, I do have a good teacher; I've been most pleased with him. My problem is I like the guy too much and have to resist the temptation to visit during my lesson. He's then rushed to get the info to me and I don't always practice it the way he intends. Still, I get roughly an hour of face time with the trumpet every day. It seems like I miss one day a week for some reason, but still I manage to get the work done and presentable by the next lesson. This week will be no different. Even though I'm fumbling around the lessons, the playing is coming right along. I'm doing extra work, too, just for good cause.

He did ask me my goals and I told him I wanted to be ready to jump in with the 4th of July Band, which starts practicing in May. I think I will be ready a lot before that, so I'm keeping my eyes and ears peeled for a small group. My wife and I are going to start working on some easy pieces. She accompanied me on piano when we were in HS, so that's going to be fun. We're going to work up a nice Christmas tune to play for our friends. I looked for sheet music the other night at the store, but no Christmas stuff out yet.

I think my enthusiasm is much greater now than it was when I first started! I fully expect that excitement to recede at some point, but getting that horn in my hands and to my face is all I think about some days. I can't wait to get home and go to work. Way cool.

Mark

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

When I started playing in the Hope College Concert Band I was placed at the second rehearsal in the eighth chair of a 12 trumpet section. At our last rehearsal the professor,(conductor), shuffled some of us arround. I was moved up to third chair. I consider that a vast compliment by the professor. I have to admit that I have done a LOT of woodshedding of the charts for that band to be sure not to make a fool of my 74 year old self in an advanced college concert band.

Am I having fun in this band? ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!! I am also getting a chance to help the students with some instrument repairs and a small amount of teaching for them. My only complaint is that I finally had to drop a bundle of coin on an all black suit to wear at our first concert Dec.2, 2010, ( $548.00). I was shocked at the prices on decent mens suits. Thankfully, my ancient Conn 2B trumpet is not only doing well, but, compares VERY favorably with the Strads, Xennos, and other top shelf horns. At least that won't be another big expenditure.

OLDLOU>>

5. Mark B

Mark B Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2010
    Redlands, CA
    That's way cool, Lou! Congrats!

Mark