First listen to Miles Davis

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Churchman, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    You might all think this absolutely bonkers, but I listened to Miles Davis today, for the first time. :duh: How (at my age) that can have happened is beyond me, but I am glad I did.

Less is definitely more - and some of his playing is just wow. Concierto de OrangeJuice is stunning. :play:

Is there anyone else I might have failed to listen to, of that quality? :think:

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Don't really know what you've missed, but I estimate in my 77 years I've missed at least one such song every day of my life. Thus, such is a minimum of 28,105 songs. The terrible thing is that I don't know which ones I've missed.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I listened to Miles many years ago and did not like what I heard and put him on the ignore list. Recently on a long haul flight I listened to his "Kind of Blue" album, this gave me a new perspective on his music and I am starting to listen to more.

I recently found Mike Vax's Album "Trumpets the Transformation". supurb playing and reccommend to anyone that has not heard it.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Bonkers ? nope ,there is tons of stuff out there i have not heard .

I cant believe how much Classical music i don't even recognize,product of a misspent youth no doubt :-P

I found miles rather late in life too ,still not a huge fan of his ,I'll spare you the review .

One thing it seems to me that music is like Food in some way's ? I remember as a youngster my pure hatred of veggies,,,,but as I grown older i seem to enjoy them a lot :D.

Music is very time dependent ,a long time ago i Didn't like ZZ top ,but as i got older i heard them again ,and i now have all their C D's ,maybe it's maturity ,or possibly immaturity? but it seems to me that just like a great trumpet ,the music has to find you,if it's a certain mood or particular circumstance i dunno ,it is fascinating how all of a sudden a certain tune just makes sense.

BTW before someone says they hate this or that artist ,remember ,there is no accounting for taste :roll:

Grats on your new discovery ,,,and enjoy the ride :-)

Dean_0

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Easy one for me, Churchman. Not sure what sort of music you enjoy, but if you have not learned about Clifford Brown yet, now is a great time to do so! I like Clifford's mellower stuff like this one the most: Clifford Brown - Embraceable You - YouTube. But the man could or did "do it all" prior to his untimely death. I just never tire of listening to him.
    Jim

6. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    It was a rather long time in my life before I hooked up with Miles myself. Not a fan of his later stuff. Not even a fan of ALL his early stuff but he does have a few tunes (especially with Bill Evans) that are among my most loved songs.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The thing about Miles... was he was ALWAYS evolving... Always... I don't know a single artist (including the musical genius of Mozart) that could evolve an art form like Miles.

8. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Nah.... Sounds like a former good player on drugs....

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Can't believe some of these comments. There's Pops, Diz, Miles and scant few others in that same league.

For those unfamiliar with Miles, altogether, be aware that there's not one Miles (at least on the surface). He's had several phases and he can't be identified by any one in isolation.

10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I do agree, but I also go along with a few opinions around having listened to him in my early years (you know when Louder and Higher was the measure), so when I first heard Miles Davis I was a little lost, and dismissed him. My ignorance of youth and poor musicianship is my excuse. As I have matured, I can appreciate his musicianship a lot more, and enjoy listening to a lot of his music. I can understand that aspect of Miles' playing - Charlie Parker falls into the same arena of my listening skills, and my musical maturity.

Miles was quoted as once saying " I will play 8 bars perfectly in tonight's performance, and my job is to make it hard for you to recognise which 8 bars they were." (or close to that). I do appreciate him more now than ever.

Listening to trumpet players, and watching Youtube is part of my development - both knowledge and awareness. Churchman, you are not alone here!