First listen to Miles Davis

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Churchman, Jun 20, 2013.

1. uconntrpt

uconntrpt New Friend

Sep 7, 2009
    New London, CT
    Miles Davis is arguably the most influencial Jazz musician of the 20th century. After playing with the beboppers including as a sideman with Charlie Parker he was at the forefront of Cool Jazz, Hardbop, modal jazz, and Jazz/rock/fusion. He lead several of the most influencial jazz bands ever. He helped to define the careers of several musicians who are now legends themselves. I can't think of any other musician that has been as important to so many different subsets of jazz and for such a long time. I know not everyone likes Miles but he is not just one thing.

2. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    I am in the same boat as the OP, as i did not listen to Miles until i last year, at 45!
    After listening to him, i actually was mad at my parents for not knowing that they should have been listening to him so that when i was in 5th grade playing trumpet I would have had something to guide me instead of just 'Hot Cross Buns".
    To that end, I play Miles for my 2 year old. she calls "So What" the "ba-dum" song, and she 'scats' in between the 'ba-dums".

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Kenny Dorham is often overlooked, but worth every bit of attention beyond Blue Bossa.

The classical literature is so rich in less known composers of wonderful music, one wouldn't know where to start. Janacek and Respighi come to mind, but there are so many others...

4. rockwell

rockwell Pianissimo User

Dec 6, 2011
    The interpretation and feeling Miles conveys in C de OJ is just amazing.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  5. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm going to get murdered for this, I like Grimethorpes version better (Crawls under rock wearing tin hat). I've played that arrangement as second man down cornet. I just love the lush sound of a Brass Band playing it. I do like Miles' version but not as much. Having said that I won't have a go at it I just don't quite get it

I know it wasn't Miss Fitzgerald playing in Brassed Off before anyone points that out. But I do always think it's a shame that Brass Bands only have one Flugelist. (I'm a closet one as it is)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  6. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012

45?!! You young whipper-snapper youROFL
    Try waiting another 5 years before discovering such joy! The you'll have the measure of it.

By the way. I'm planning to be famous and do a first world tour in about 5 years time - I know I'm still a bit young for it, but hey!!!

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    LOL. That's funny.

Martin - I mean Churchman - your question is so broad, it's pretty hard to second guess it. But here are a few you might want to give a listen to whom I would consider basic listening who would be Miles' contemporaries and who could easily have slipped under your radar:

Carmel Jones
    Thad Jones
    Bill Hardman
    Art Farmer
    Blue Mitchell

8. fels

fels Piano User

Jun 8, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    That is just silly.

i agree with the general sentiment.

I first listened to Miles in the 1960s. felt a bit odd about his music (Carnegie Hall Concert). Listened through his fusion years. Not so impressed. Attended concerts - Miles glaring at his sidemen - as a "mature" listener found a re-release of Kind of Blue - read the book about the recording - fabulous.

Relative to evolving the art form - numerous examples - Mozart - surely Beethoven - matter of taste i suppose - but Beethoven's journey from classical to Romanticism and beyond is transformational - profound. As much as I like and admire Miles - i don't see him as equivalent.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I actually didn't give Miles a fair listen until a few years ago ... there are some really good interviews and bios on Youtube ... then I started hearing names or seeing other players and doing searches on them.
    I saw one of our fellow TMers in concert here in LA and they did one set dedicated to Blue Mitchell and Lee Morgan ... totally dug it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiilwEO7WNk

10. mattiasc

mattiasc Piano User

Jan 14, 2013
    This is gold.

grz.