First note of phrase.....attack?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jul 24, 2008.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    What is your method for attacking the first note of a phrase or piece to make it sound good (not sloppy, intentional, achieving what's wanted or needed, etc.)? thanks, crow

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Depends on what the note should sound like and if it is part of a double tongue or not.

TOOH is my #1 way followed by DOOH, KOOH or GOOH. On the natural trumpet I have been known to use RIT, TIR, TON or DOO-DLE.

A real trumpet player needs a big palette - All of this is worth practicing to optimise the experience.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Rowuk,
    Does the RIT attack start as a breath attack? I don't understand how to do that one.

4. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    Rowuk,
    I understand that those different word formations give a different coloration to the note, but I was looking for possible rules, do's and don'ts (I know the final reply is "do what works for you,") but I'm wondering if there's something more to know about the initial attack? Sorry my question sounds like a Hardware Store question: "You know, that thing that's round, has a spike attached to it, and a place where you can insert a wrench that has a weird shape." Who the heck knows what you're talking about? The answer may be as simple as learn good tounging, and you'll play that first note with excellence?

crow

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I think the answer to this question is to hear what you are going to play and feel it before you start playing. Visualize how it will feel and sound and it will increase the chances of it coming out that way.

Practicing the piece doesn't hurt either.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It may be weird, but sometimes I'll pretend the first note is actually the second--it has cut way down on the number of weird first notes.

7. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    If i have a couple of bars rest before an entry, i will practise the tongue action without a buzz. I find this particularly helpful for the high pp notes. For me, i have the habit of tensing up, and the tongue striking the wrong area causing a split.

8. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Sometimes the first note scares me really bad just becouse it is the first. And when that happens i almost always miss it :(

9. crowmadic

Oct 3, 2006
    This is exactly what i was looking for. Thanks, I'll try each suggestion. I'll be checking for more.......... crow

10. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    I really like this idea... lets you "bend" you mind around the "first note jitters". :thumbsup:

That along with having a clear idea in your head what the note should sound like before playing it!! :cool: