First note of phrase.....attack?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Jul 24, 2008.

1. siarr

siarr Pianissimo User

May 18, 2007
    Hollywood, FL, USA
    Thanks, VB! - glad to know I'm not the only one who uses that approach (not always, but for many of the touchy entrances). I also use the same psychology for high notes - I pretend that the high note is just a step on the way up to a REALLY high note, and by god , it actually works much of the time!

Cheers,
    Chas

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Get a Vienna Key for high notes! VB says that with it you cannot split a note...But believe me, if you practice diligently, you can split any note! :bleah:

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    So psychology is there, with tongue, lips, air etc. Maybe we should start a new forum topic called psychomusicology.
    But really, it is a perfomance issue, much similar to that in sports, or acting, public speaking, or test taking. And it also involves physiology, for the fight or flight response which triggers the release of adrenal hormones into your system is involuntary, so your mindset may not be able to prevent it.
    All in all there is a lot going on as you prepare to play that first note, even though the only thing that differs it from all the others is that there aren't any notes before it. So VB's idea is very sound (npi). Ultimately we need to get (our brains/egos) out of the way and let the music flow.

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Let's keep it simple:

BLOW YOUR BRAINS OFF! :bleah:

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    In the American sport of baseball, people love to keep statistics on the players. The batting average is one example: with an average of .290, It is safe to assume a player get a safe hit 29 times out of one hundred. If that player goes on a hitting spree, and their average goes up to .400, most of the time they'll go into a slump, until they are back to their old average.

It is as if, "knowing" that they hit .290. our player will do his best to stay within their own personal view. It is very few who can say "Hey, I'm a .400 hitter now! Isn't this fun!"

Another fun example is when I've "lost" something that is in plain sight. I'll look all over the place, but my selfish, know-it-all brain can't accept the fact that the keys are not lost, and my own perception wins out over reality once again.

Weird.

For more information, try checking out "cognitive distortions" with a search engine.

6. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    Woah, by imagining the first note in the Charlier #2 (Du Style), as the second note, my attack as greatly improved. THough I am still way to jittery in that piece.

7. AllxStar

AllxStar New Friend

Jul 24, 2008
    oohh thats a good idea.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Yeah, the idea is that if "I always bobble the first note," imagining it as the second note can help, and like siarr said, if we imagine the next note after the highest note even higher, we tend to nail the high note.

It turns out that the 21 day habit-forming trick was also mentioned in a book entitled Psycho-Cybernetics, by a plastic surgeon named Maxwell Marks. He noted how the self-esteem of his patients improved after surgery, although they were still the same person before and after. He likened this to a self-guiding missle (the book was written during the cold war, ya know!) that seeks out its target. Dr. Mark's contention was that we too are goal-oriented, and with that goal in mind, we will acheive it.

If we think we are doomed to failure for whatever reason, fail we will, despite more than sufficient preparation. Not fun.

This may sound a bit too New-Agey and all, but when I am on stage making music I love with people I like, magical stuff happens. If I'm all wrapped up in playing "my part," wrapped up in not messing stuff up, I'll almost every time goof up.

Have fun!

9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
  10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hi, everyone!

I´m a new member who has been reading the posts on this forum for some time now.
    one reason why I´ve taken the step to join today is your question, crowmadic! I have just discovered why I´ve always had trouble with the first attack: my vocal cords have always been blocking the air previous to the first attack, and I´ve developed a first attack that involves opening the vocal cords in combination with the tounge work.
    Now that I know what was wrong, the way I think is this: block the air with your tounge (like you always do prior to the attack) and feel the air pressuring agains you upper pallate, allmost like you were going to blow your nose. This feeling of having the air pressuring against the pallate ensures that your vocal cords are open. I don´t know if this is the trouble you have, but it makes wonders for me!