First note of the day

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by loweredsixth, Dec 10, 2005.

1. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    Manny, I posted this topic over on the other site, but I'd really like your opinion on it.

First, is there a "first note of the day" that you play almost every day? For example, I've noticed that the first note I play every day is a second-line G.

Second, do you think that starting every day with the same note has any physical or psychological affect on your range? For example, am I establishing (subconciously) that second-line G is the middle of my range? What would happen if I changed that first note of the day? Would going up a fourth or fifth help increase my overall range?

I'm really curious if you have any opinion on this matter. Thanks Manny (or anyone esle that would like to chime in!)

Joe Lewis

2. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
  3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Technically, I'll bet middle g isn't the middle of your range as that would only give you a two octave range! But we get what you mean, of course.

I typically will play that g or the f just below or a low c to start the day. What happens directly after I play that first note is anybody's guess! The Northwestern University National anthem, a chromatic scale, "Yellow Bird"... who knows?

ML

4. BradHarrison

BradHarrison Pianissimo User

Oct 31, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Jim Spragg(2nd, Toronto Symphony) had some belief in this. I didn't discuss it with him at length but he asked me what my first note of the day was. At the time is was a middle G, 90% of the time. He recommended I start on a third space C to set up for the day. FWIW.