First notes to learn?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sinebar, May 1, 2008.

1. sinebar

sinebar New Friend

Apr 21, 2008
    So what are the best notes to learn first. The book I have starts you out on the low "C" and "D". Is this typical?

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Hire a teacher.
    Take piano lessons first.

3. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

Some people when they first buzz hit a low c, some hit a low g (second line). So, C & D is pretty typical, anywhere in that range, I don't which two notes you learn first matters that much...

4. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    The first notes are only important in that you don't want to try to play anything too high or low...your range needs to expand as you gain more experience playing the horn. So yes, low c or d is a fine place to start.

My advice to start would be to spend some time learning to play from low c up to around an f a 4th above. Learn all of the notes (chromatics) up and down. Practice the fingerings, practice these notes as long tones (this will begin to build an embochure).

Most elementary method books will start you out with simple exercises (rubank, various band methods) and the Arban's complete conservatory method has exercises for every aspect of playing.

And finally, if possible, it would be a good idea to get some lessons if you can...

bigtiny

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    I am somewhat old school and really believe finding a book that starts you on second line G is best. Try looking at a good beginning book that starts you in that range. I have taught beginners for a number of years and find that the G is usually easier for them to start.

6. sinebar

sinebar New Friend

Apr 21, 2008
    Notes C and D aren't bad but I haven't tried G yet. One thing though, my flute emouchure is already suffering. I think I may have to limit the trumpet practice time to no more 15 min until I get used to it. I don't know if this trumpet is going to mix with the flute.

7. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    yeah, well, trumpet doesn't mix with MUCH else in life !!! =:-)

bigtiny

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    which notes are insignificant, it is what you do with them!

Learning a new instrument requires DOUBLING your practice time if it is to be successful. If want to mix trumpet and flute (in that order), you need to practice the switch every day! Add it to your routine and the problems will go away fairly quickly.

9. Patrick9654

Patrick9654 New Friend

Mar 14, 2008
    Ok people let's all sing it like in the Sound of Music. When you count you begin with 1,2,3 when you sing (or in this case play) you begin with Do,Re,Mi. The first three notes just happen to be Do,Re, Mi:lol:

10. sinebar

sinebar New Friend

Apr 21, 2008
    The muscles under the chin are definately strained after the trumpet session. These are muscles not used by the flute or at least not used near as much. So it will take some getting use to.