First Paid Gig wOOt !!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by David_N, Apr 12, 2006.

1. David_N

David_N New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    Ok so easter sunday these friends of ours want me to play the trumpet part for the trumpet shall sound from messiah at their church and they're actually goin pay me !!!!!. Yeh im pretty excited bout the whole thing, ive onli had a week to practice for it but still i think it will go ok, i just hope i dont choke cos all my other performances have been school ones and this time im actualli gettin paid to play and its like u dont pay someone to stuff up so im kinda worried in that sense. But none the less its goin to be fun !

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Cool.

Be ready for the sopranos to go sharper and sharper when you are playing in unison. I have done it a few times and everytime that drives me nuts!

3. Spitty

Spitty Pianissimo User

Oct 3, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hi David,

Congrats on the first paid gig, I had mine not too long ago with my jazz quintet and it went fantastic. I made $50 and when I got to my car floating on air from the compliments at the gig I realized in my haste to get to the gig I parked illegally and got a $60 ticket, so the beautiful night cost me $10 - not bad.

Anyway - HAVE FUN - and play your heart out.

Jason

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away"!

5. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    Sopranos on The Trumpet Shall Sound?

6. David_N

David_N New Friend

Dec 28, 2005
    Yeh the baritone cant sing that high so i have to transpose it down so its in B major which isnt so bad. But i just got back from school and i had to play the last post for ANZAC day (which is actually on the 25th but its school holidays so we did it today) infront of 1800 people which was scairy, but the funniest thing was that the part at the beginning like after the long notes i stuffed it up like pretty bad but got away with it, all these teachers at the end were tellin me how wonderful i played it which was funni. If u can play the beginnin and end of the last post u can play almost anythin in between and no one will notice. :D

7. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ooops. I just saw messiah, heh.

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Heh Heh Heh, I don't know who here has heard this one but I thought 'd share it with you. ALl I can say is that someone got fired on this one.

Happy Easter

http://media.putfile.com/Messiahcrack

Eric

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Applause was "polite" and restrained.

That's what happens when you give an organist too many knobs to pull!

I've heard something almost identical except it was an organist accompanying a brass quintet during a service. "Oops, wrong key"

Talk about a mad scramble while they tried to find "common ground".

10. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    handel's Messiah

In my long ago youth I sang bass and later played The Messiah with the Calvin College Oratorio Society. As principal trumpeter in the orchestra I was the one who played 'The trumpet Shall Sound'. My advice is to practice it diligently so that you can play confidently at the performance. This is a number that demands confident and almost fanfare type attacks. At Calvin we did five performances of this one each year. How many performances are you obligated to?