First Parade!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by willbarber, May 16, 2009.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Sooo, we (Medina Mustang Marching Band) had our first public parade today.
    After waiting in a lineup for an hour, in misting rain, we played short versions of our show as the parade inched along. It was worth it, they payed us $1000 to do it. It's kind of weird, being the feature of the parade for a town that's like an hour and a half away from us. We start with brass in front, woodwinds pass through so brass can be at the judges box at the impact (slaughter on 10th street!) then after we reprise elk's Parade, we turn around, and finish the show marching backwards, which is something we do every year. Now, at this point, I'm in the 3rd brass rank from the end, with about 15 brass and woodwind ranks behind me. There's really no words to describe the feeling of the sheer loundness resonating through your body. We were playing down their Main Street, so the buildings on the sides just contained the sound, and made it even louder. It was probably the best we've sounded this year, and the most powerful we've been in a while. And as always, our musicality while playing at 10 f's is phenomenal. I think we're one of the few high school bands that can play that loud and that good at only like 120, 125 horns, probably less.
    Still, the best part was turning the corner and seeing half the Renegade Drum Corp standing outside their bus, cheering for us.

Anyone else starting their spring show tirade?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My marching band days are long behind me, but I know the feeling (and it doesn't come just form marching band)--Carmina Burana in Freiburg, Germany--open air with 30,000 in the audience on a hot spring evening.

Welcome to the club!

3. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    Well, if it counts we have our next parade on memorial day parade. I love doing those parades, this year we had two so far, and we always manage to get the most amount of cheering. We are even on youtube! Somebody follows our marching band in the parades and tapes everyone of them. But its a great feeling marching parades. Next winter break will be fun, we are gonna have half a million live plus international television as we march in paris and london!

4. LindsayMae

LindsayMae New Friend

Apr 4, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Wow sounds amazing. I wish I knew how you feel. I would think that it would be such an awesome feeling. :) Unfortunately, my band will have about twenty to thirty people marching in the Memorial Day parade this year. We don't even have a football team so we don't really even have a marching band :( We just do the Memorial Day and 4th of July parade and that's about it.

5. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

There's always drum corps. Stop in and sudition for the Scouts...

6. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Yeah, there was this band in front of us, and I kinda felt bad that they had to go before us, they were only like 3 wide by 8 long, and we're like 7 wide by 18 long.
    And Vulgano, it's not my first parade, it's just the first this year. It was honestly the best I've ever felt during a parade.
    We stopped and played the end of our show for about half a dozen drunk people on the way back to the buses. 3 of the seniors and I went over to the front (we stopped broadside) and I played most of the ending octave up, then at the end just shot as high as I could. I've always wanted to do that. I estimate I hit the double F. And yes, it was in the chord. :)

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Double F (the F above double C TWO octaves above the staff), would only be audible at about 12 inches outdoors from a player that does not have the pro qualities of a Patrick Hession. An estimate means you do not know what damage you may have caused.................................

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008

LOL!!!!!

I think the adrenaline rush that we sometimes get can cause our ears to hear what we WANT them to! While the dubba F felt good at the time, I think a tape replay would tell a different story.

Glad you had a good time though...

9. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Yeah...we got a Memorial Day parade coming up too. Sorry, can't share
    the excitement. Marching band is mandatory and not really fun for me.
    Only one more year!! Now that is exciting :D
    Have fun,
    -Andrew

10. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Sorry, I meant the other one, directly above high C.
    I thought the Doubles started right above that.

And I don't know what you mean by damage. It was after the show, we were marching back to the buses, and there were some drunk people in a driveway cheering for us, so we gave 'em a show. No tape, no judges, no damage. Heck, the parade wasn't even a competition. My chops are fine.
    I think you just didn't have enough information.
    We also did the same thing 2 years ago, the last time we were there.

And Andrew, play your heart out and every parade can be exciting. You don't know HOW much I was looking forward to that show.