First Performance after 3 years off Tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetguy27, Sep 16, 2011.

1. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Hi All,

Just kinda posting my thoughts...

Tomorrow I have my first performance after being away from playing for over three years, due to having brain surgery in March 2009.

The "gig" is actually pretty cool since it's playing the National Anthem before the Conquer Chiari Walk- a walk to promote awareness of and fund research on the condition that brought on my surgery. Basically perfect timing that my first job back is for the thing that's kept me away from playing for so long.

I'm both REALLY excited and a bit nervous... I'm ready, my chops are doing well and I've played the anthem a million times- but rarely solo in such an exposed performance and never after a three year lay off.

It should be fun- I know they will appreciate me doing it, especially since I share the condition with them... I just want to do an awesome job for ME to know I'm BACK.

Practice tonight will just be some long tones, a few flexibilities and playing through the anthem a few times quietly and without the octaves I will perfom at the end.

I'm still trying to decide if I should take a stand and music... I KNOW the anthem but I have a feeling nerves could play some role in the morning. I hate the thought of having to have a stand in front of me but it might be a safety net worth having for this gig. I guess we will see.

Anyway... guess that's it... wish me luck!!!

(I'll report back how it went!)

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Good Luck - keep cool.

I am sure you will be OK.

3. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Good luck Trumpetguy! There will be a lot of people here pulling for you. A successful comeback story is an encouragement to all of us. If possible a video of your performance would be enjoyed.
    Good Luck
    Bobby

4. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    My hat is off to you, trumpetguy!! And, what an inspiration you are. :thumbsup:

Just remember that you're not going to be out there playing alone. Because the members of this forum will be with you in spirit on each and every note.

Play that National Anthem from your heart, and give it all ya got.

:play: :play:

5. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Good luck. Close your eyes and let it come from your heart. Just play it for yourself, don't even think about anyone being there. We'll all be with you in spirit. I'll send some good vibes your way! Let us know how it goes.
    Bob

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Congatulations on your recovery and come back. We're all pulling for you. By the way there's no law against using a stand or reading music for the anthem. Do what makes you comfortable.

7. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the thoughts guys... I'm looking forward to it!!!

8. trumpetguy27

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    Well... I think it went pretty well! One little bobble in the middle, but I got right back on track. If I had done this when I was playing all the time I'd be pissed at myself... but considering it was my first time playing in public in over 3 years I'll take it and just make sure i do better next time!

I'll try and get a youtube link up this evening, once I figure out how to get the video off of my phone.

Thanks for all the support!

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    I'm sure yours went better than the trumpet player did on JFK's service.
    Now it's onward and upward all the way!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    A wonderful post .. thanks for sharing this. Bet you didn't sleep well the night before either ...exciting moments. Sounds like you enjoyed it too .. we'll be looking forward to the Youtube vid
    congrats!