First post - newb question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    Hi all,

I have a brand new (about a year old) Blessing trumpet. Often when I pick it up the valves are quite sticky and sometimes I cannot press them down at all. I have tried lubricating them but I am wondering if I am doing it in the right spot.

Any advice for a newbie?

Thanks,

Paul

2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Welcome, Hey Pauly,

Contrary to what is shown in the video, it is much better to remove each valve all the way, apply oil and let the excess drip off onto a paper towel or tissue, and then re-insert them. Observe the numbering** on the pistons so you can re-orient them in the same fashion when re-inserting them into the cylinders. Oil is needed on the area of the piston which has the holes running through it. Removing the bottom caps and cleaning them out is also a good idea.

**Pistons are numbered in different locations by different makers. On some the numbers face the player, on others they face away from the player, and others face one side or the other.

4. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    Thank you very much!

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Welcome!
    I don't know how long you've been playing or how old you are but a few of things you might want to consider:
    1) Always leave your horn out of its case when at home. The chance that you will pick it up and practice goes up significantly.
    2)Clean your horn once a month (whether it needs it or not)
    3)Practice a little everyday. It doesn't have to be a lot as long as its a "balanced routine"
    4)As for the sticky stubborn valves? It usually means:
    a)The horn is dirty and needs cleaned
    b)The horn doesn't get enough use and the valves are drying out.
    Hope this helps

6. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    Markie,

Thank you very much for the tips.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    The main thing is, don't be afraid of your horn. the more you disassemble and clean it {as frequently as you can} the more you know it and your confidence will build in proportion. Seriously there's no voodoo about it, just disassembly and cleaning with the leadpipe and valves paramount, just my tuppence worth.

8. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
  9. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
  10. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly New Friend

Dec 17, 2010
    That was very informative. Is there anything that Dave Monette can't do? ;-)