First post - newb question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hey_Pauly, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    One other thing is valve oil. If you're using something like Blue Juice, it evaporates pretty quickly. If you go for more than a couple days without playing a horn with Blue Juice in it, the valves will tend to stick.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    On about all new horns, there is frequently trash left inside the tubing during the manufacturing process that migrates into the valve casings. What I therefore wish to emphasize is cleaning the inside of the valve casings extra thoroughly. With the valves completely removed and layed in proper reinsertion sequence on a microfiber cloth, I then remove the bottom caps and then insert my finger though both top and bottom of casing to check for any grunge build-up. The touch of my fingers is better than my eyesight, especially in this circumstance. It certainly wouldn't hurt to apply lubricating oil to the side of the casings following this finger inspection , picking same up from a small dish with a microfiber cloth wrapped around your finger. Otherwise, I won't now get into the oil/lubricant recommendations except to say generally, DO NOT oil / lubricate with household lubricants or add different brands from what you've prior used without a grease detergent thorough cleaning of the valves.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Pauly, your saliva may be a bit acidic - it's a good idea to oil your valves before you put your trumpet away .... and never, never, eat and play without first thoroughly rinsing your mouth.