First Professional Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cfkid, Dec 8, 2014.

1. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    After a two year comeback, I'm proud to say that I played my first professional gig on Saturday and Sunday night. It was trumpet trio playing with a choir at a local church. Nothing hard at all, but I'm glad to say it went very well. Just a note for all those coming back, remember that it's about the journey.

Mark

2. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Very cool, Mark. Keep it up!

Jim

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Feels good, doesn't it! :D Did you get paid?

Hopefully this gig will lead to a relationship with the church, which will in turn lead to many more gigs in the future, and not only with this church, but from word of mouth to other people and places as well.

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I consider payment the key to being a professional gig. I've done a fair amount of the free stuff. Pro is better.

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    :thumbsup:

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Pro is better if you enjoy what you're playing and who you're playing with. If it's not your primary source of income, sometimes fun trumps money, though.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I purchased my 1980 Getzen Eterna from a "pro" trumpet player right on the street in Manhattan (pre arranged).
    He was a pro all right. I could tell, the trumpet was perfect from top to bottom, every detail was impeccable. However I couldn't say the same for his car, which was 25 years newer, but looked like it had gone through combat somewhere! He had 50 trumpets, and one beat up chevy!
    Proof enough to me he was a pro. :cool:

8. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    If you are using the term "pro" to mean you got paid, that's one thing....good for you. Its always nice to be held in such regard as to be worth money for your skill. To actually be a pro and make your living at trumpet playing is an entirely different definition. Some, but not all, pros will tell you to be careful when you make what you love your business. The fun factor goes down dramatically when dollars are the main goal. I'm sure that everyone here already realizes this and I'm sorry for stating the obvious.

That being said, congrats on your performance. Did you have any butterflies?

9. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not looking to replace my day job. Just have people think I'm good enough to perform and make a few bucks on the side. Most of the playing I do now is for a charity big band. That being said, a paying gig is nice because there's actually a bit of rehearsal involved.

I had a few butterflies, but not bad. I did crack a high B both nights, I think because it was played with a straight mute and I'm really not used to playing that much with a mute. Oh well, live and learn.

Mark

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Something else to practice...using mutes. See, an opportunity to get better at it...;-)