First Professional Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cfkid, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I'll know if a guy is pro if he's driving an Aston Martin.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    For me, personally, I would refer to it as a "paid gig" rather than professional. It sounds nit-picky, but for example, all the artwork I do currently I receive payment for. So do I call myself a professional artist? No. I would only do so if this was the sole source of income for the family. Again, it's my own personal take on it. Others can differ, I have no quarrel with them.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Po-tay-toe/po-tah-toe, but I get what you are saying. Just because someone makes money at it doesn't necessarily mean it's "professional." Anymore I refer to the playing I do as "pro-level" or semi-pro. I get paid and paid pretty well, but it's not by a long shot my main money maker, and I've always thought that it needs to be your primary source of income before you can say you are a professional at whatever it is you are doing to make your living.

Even when I was a full-time military bandsman, I hesitated to call myself a professional musician - at least not in the last years I did in the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps. With that gig, it was less about being a musician as it was about being a good marcher. The first 3 years was a different matter - while the Army was still my source of income, my main duty for the Army was playing music, and I was a fairly versatile player, playing in the concert band, big band, ceremonial band and brass quintet.

4. cfkid

cfkid Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2013
    Alright, I'll agree with you. First paying gig.

5. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    More likely the beat up Chev. That Aston Martin would be paid for by his day job as a surgeon, dentist, IT sales rep etc (JMHO).

A couple of years back I got a nice redundancy package and had big ideas about setting up a music related business. It soon became apparent that there were fare more talented people out there living on the breadline.

I like the term "semi-pro". It helps to set an expectation that you should be paid where possible.

6. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I can live with 'semi-pro". Your right, there comes a point where people you don't know assume you are their friend and playing is free for the asking. If they are definitely not your friend and they have to tell you their name after asking, then you should seek payment. It doesn't have to be a large sum, just something to show that you have value in what you do. Its like asking a stranger to help you move, that's what movers are for. Its different if you could depend on them to return the favor, right? Best wishes.

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    i haven't yet had the first paying gig, but I've had some offers, and was unable to commit to them. I also know some players who I genuinely think are not on my level have had paying gigs, but this is true in any field. I see artwork commanding way higher prices than I charge, but that may be my own lack of marketing skills.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You're not allowed to use the word "gig" unless you are a professional. Amateurs should just say they received remuneration for providing their dubious services. :lol:

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Dale, cite me the law that prohibits a non-professional player from using the word "gig" to indicate their engagement to play for pay. I was gigging before you were born ... for frogs.

10. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    you played for French people Ed?

Big respect :-)