First Professional Gig

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cfkid, Dec 8, 2014.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    gig(ɡɪɡ)
    n
    1. (Music, other) a job, esp a single booking for a musician, comedian, etc, to perform at a concert or club2. (Music, other) the performance itselfvb, gigs, gigging or gigged
    3. (Music, other) (intr) to perform at a gig or gigs[C20: of unknown origin]

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    It's no law, just good musician etiquette. You can't use the word for hunting frogs, either, unless you were a professional frog gigger. We have to put a stop to non-professionals using professional words...;-)

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I'm using it. I like to live on the edge. Try to stop me. ;-)

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Like the Confederate General, the origin of my surname is French, and half the town in PA where I was born was settled by the French, and until the English came to America the whole area was governed by the French. Even Pittsburgh PA was once Fort Duquesne. When one performs in public it is assumed there is no barrier to ethnic origins. Shucks, I can even speak some French.

5. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    So next I suppose you will claim to be a professional, too...:D

6. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Nah. I don't even claim to be a professional artist, though others will sometimes try.

7. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Well, your art work looks professional to me! I pride myself in being a professional hack. Not my full-time job, but I feel I've risen to an elite status in trumpet/cornet hackdom, so in my mind, I'm a pro at it.

All we need now is gmonady and king trumpet to chime in to put the finishing touches on this thread, hopefully in less than two more pages...

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A couple of years ago I had an experience that made me really think about my place in the grand scheme of things as a musician.

One night a guy I knew who was trying to come back from a hiatus as a musician (he played guitar and sang in a band) wanted to try to get some things going again, and he invited me out for beers and to share his experience at an open mic night at a little dive bar about a 15 minute drive from where I live.

I was floored by the kind of heart and guts these folks performed with, and it made me step back and look at my own involvement in music. These guys were up there doing it for free - strumming guitar and singing their hearts out for nothing more than the music they felt all the way to their bones. By comparison, I felt like a cold-hearted hired gun - I approached music in an almost clinical way sometimes. This isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the music or play expressively, but for me in the gigs that I played, I was often focused far more on the technical execution of what I was playing than the way the music made me feel, which might have to do with the fact that I play at someone else's pleasure for the money it makes me.

In any case, from that point forward, I've tried to find a better balance between being technically proficient and finding true musical feeling and expression. I don't know if those guys were more "talented" than me, per se, but they had a connection to the music that I had lost somewhere along the way in my efforts to be a paid player.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To me, BigDub is a pro. I get so many compliments from people visiting my home regarding his art work I have hanging around the house.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Usually pushing one forward stops an individual living on the edge.