First, Second, and Third?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TriChord, Jun 27, 2011.

1. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm just a beginner... but I recently tested the valves for air leaks and I found some air leaking in all 3 valves. This is a used King 600 trumpet! Is this normal to have some? I'm not sure if my tone sucks because of my embrochure or the valves. Is there a way to check if the valves are worn?

Thanks :) I did a search, but I didn't really find anything other than how to check if there's an air leak.

Btw! forgot to add... I brought it in to my music teacher at school. He plays trumpet and he played it and said it was fine, okay, or good enough for a beginner or something along those lines haha.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Where is the air leaking from? The valve casings? The slides coming from the valve cassings? The water key valves?:oops:

3. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    Umm... I'm not sure... but when I remove the slide and then plug up one of the holes (the one that air comes through) it leaks or I heal a leak that isn't coming from my thumb that is blocking that hole.

4. Byfbo96

Byfbo96 New Friend

May 15, 2011
    Jacksonville, FL
    Its difficult to suggest something that will help without seeing or hearing the horn play. If your teacher has played it and says its good to go, then I would believe him. Most leaks are from the water key valve. Either the spring is not keeping a tight seal on the cork or stopper or the cork/stopper needs to be replaced. If the valves are leaking, then you should hear it or feel the air pouring out when you play. Plus, there should be some moisture pouring out of the leak.

5. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    Oh... I see! Thanks for the tips! Umm... I do have an airy sorta tone... which I believe is an effect caused by leaky valves (hope I read correctly). It can also be my embrochure right? :(!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Even if the horn has essentially no compression, it will not mess your sound up.

Sound is a product of breathing, body use, embouchure and tongue being synchronized and having practiced enough so that your ears tell the brain to do something with your face - and it does it.

Crappy sound means that you simply have not invested the required time to get the job done.

I have a 1911 cornet with extremely leaky valves. It sounds as good as anything else that I own. The tones do not lock in as well as other instruments, but that could be a function of that instrument regardless of compression!

7. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    :) Thank you! I think that reaffirms what my teacher said and what I believe! I'm just a week in, and I know I really shouldn't worry about these sorta things that much and just play! Thanks again! I'll show this Trumpet good tone (some day.....)

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    The King 600 is a fine trumpet -- I own 1, and it will do everything from the lowest note to the highest -- and the sound is great -- I concur with your teacher -- if he played it well then --- I am sorry to say -- well you already know --- time and practice

9. TriChord

TriChord New Friend

Jun 21, 2011
    Haha, yeah. Shouldn't have doubted that! It sounded godly when he played it. He said his trumpet (which I believe is a Bach) would take more work to get a good sound though. Makes me really excited to get to that point!

Okay Mr.King Trumpet :p.