First Slide Valve Oiling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmonady, Mar 23, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    My '46 Martin Committee came with an original owner's manual. In this manual it states:

If... the valves tend to "slow down" after you've played a while, remove the first valve slide and pour in a little oil. This oil acts as a cleansing agent rather than a lubricant.

Has any one heard this before? Is it true?

Here is the other part of the instructions that is unique:

...to keep it thoroughly clean inside and outside... Hold the bell under a top of clear running water, neither too cold or too hot, until the instrument is full. Work the valves while blowing the water out of the bell, thereby flushing off the pumps, and then dry the outside of the horn.

Again, why would one do this... does it improve the valve actions... and why?

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I think that sounds right. I use valve oil on my valves and they are clean.
    I use valve oil on my 1st valve slide and it keeps it really clean. I notice a build up of dirt, and it wipes right off. So I would think that putting valve oil in the 1st valve slide toward the valve would not only lube it, but also keep it clean.

It keeps it clean. It will go and loosen up any gunk and then you will just blow it out the bell. I think warm water would be best.

Did you just read the manual or something?

3. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    i haven't heard any of this before, but it sounds totally logical and sounds like it would be a good idea. Coming from your editor, I am sure you know I have your best interest at heart here.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    most people who remove the slides to oil the valves are "lazy", that has always been my opinion -- but then again, removing the slides would prevent unnecessary dings or drops to the valves, and the end result is that they get oiled -- and NOT damaged!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
    codyb226 and Dupac like this.
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I read it in November when I first got the horn. I did try the valve oil down the first valve slide, but did not notice any change. After I got the horn back from Tom Green for a simple re-lacquering, the valve is lightning fast. He said he noticed a little slowness in the valve and tweaked it. Not sure what he did to it, but whatever he did, that was what worked the magic. I have yet to try to flush it with water, as it works flawlessly at this point, and I clean it out with the traditional taking it apart and soaking in soapy water.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    KT, the manual states to liberaly oil the valves regularly. The first slide oiling recommendation is made IN ADDITION to standard valve oiling.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Interesting. I have never heard of filling the assembled horn and blowing out the water. That is a new one. "flushing out the pumps" means valves?

A question that stirs almost as much passion as "what is the best horn" is how to properly oil valves. I had a couple of teachers that encouraged pulling a valve slide and dropping in oil.

While I can't see how valve oil would not be a lubricant, I can see how it would ALSO be a cleaning agent. Wonder when they changed the protocol.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    I was told when they ultrasonically clean horns they do it with the valves in to clean them too. I've always flushed my trumpet with water before I start to clean it. I never blew on it to blow it out but would let it drain. It makes sense and is cheaper than an ultrasonic cleaning!
    As to the valve oil there was a great valve oil commonly used at the time called Slik-Stuf that had a detergent cleanser in it. Roche bought out the company, but quick makimg it last year. Now there is Yamaha's Clark Viper oil that has a mild detergent in it to lubricate and clean the valves. I really like it and notice a better responce with the valves. I ordered 6 bottles from my local Yammy dealer and it works good on new horns or those with tight fitting valves.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Steve, it does. Here is the Martin Committee manual related to "pumps":

...we [Martin] now have newly patented equipment, in use nowhere but in the Martin factory, permitting us to build valve pumps to a degree of accuracy of dimensions and microscopic smoothness of finish hertofor undreamed of. With and on this new equipment, Martin valves are finished to a surface smoothness of 2 micro inches r.m.s., which means that there is no more than two millionths of an inch of surface curvature. Also, the geometric dimensions of each valve are held within a tolerance of 2 ten-thousandths of an inch, making Martin valves the most accurately constructed and smoothest finish ever known in the history of band instrument building. This permits absolutely leak proff fitting of pumps in casings with resultant improvement in all the features that combine to make the new Post War "Committee Model" Martins so immediately and so terrificallly successful in appealing to discriminating and particular professional players.

Remember when reading this to put the wording into the context of when it was written. This came with my 1946 Martin Committee. I am sure there has been more improvements since 1946, but this is the exact wording used in the original manual that came with my horn when I baught it on ebay.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have read that before. I do rinse my trumpet out with Dawn disp soap that way. You just have to make sure you have good valve compression or the water can seep onto your felt pads. I sometimes oil the valves that way to. Not sure but I think the oil helps protect the piping as well.

codyb226 likes this.