First trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mystrumpet, Feb 14, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I don't even know what my first trumpet was. It was a student model something. Anyway, my second trumpet was a Bach 37 that my parents bought used to give me for Christmas. That was 20 years ago, and I still have that horn. It still plays wonderfully too, and the valve action is great. I'll never get rid of it, but it's not my primary horn now.

2. Ron_B

Ron_B New Friend

When I entered junior high school, about 1961, students had to select "band" or "choir" as one of their electives. I didn't want to sing, so my parents paid $25 for a "Grand Rapids" trumpet, made by "York", so I could sign up for band. I immediately fell in love with music in general, and with the trumpet in particular. That old horn was given to another child when I bought my Conn Connstellation in 1963. I still have the Conn...

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Buescher 400 from 1949:

[​IMG]

Can you imagine giving that to a 5th grader?

Took 20 years but I finally got it back to good condition.

Tom

4. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    My Dad's hand-me-down Conn Vocabell 40A (cornet, not trumpet) I got so tired of explaining to UIL judge after UIL judge that it was a cornet, not a trumpet....

5. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    brand new Yamaha YTR-1335 in lacquer. I hated the valves on that... thing.

6. pbk917

pbk917 New Friend

Oct 11, 2007
    York, PA
    My first trumpet I owned was an Olds Ambassador, purchased new in 1976 (?) by my parents from Sam Ash in Brooklyn, NY. I still have that horn, there's no way I could ever get rid of it. I have loaned it to many beginning trumpet players, so it has seen a good bit of action over the years.

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    back in the late 50's I wanted to be in the band and we had no money so I took my paper route money and dad went to the music store and bought and old Conn cornet that looked like a short trumpet. In high school dad traded it in for a new Conn trumpet after I made Jazz band. wish I new what that first horn was and had it back. I still remember what I paid for it - $50. Dave

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    a Holton Herbert Clarke model long cornet made in 1910. My grandfather died when I was 10 and I inherited it. I still play it in his honor today!

9. aragorn10027

aragorn10027 New Friend

Jan 6, 2005
    NYC
    Woah, very similar to my story. I started out on my Great-grandfather's 1907 Buescher (my parents didn't know how old it was), with a modern cornet mouthpiece and solder on the braces where they had broken. When my parents realized two years later that I was going to stick with it, they bought me a King Silver Flair. Now I have a vintage cornet mouthpiece for the Buescher and I finally understand how nice it is (or was). At some point I'm going to get in restored.

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Here is a picture of my Besson after Leigh McKinney of Eclipse Trumpets refinished it. It was my great-grandfathers horn and passed down to my grand father, father, and then me. When I was playing on it a lot it didn't look this good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]