First trumpet?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mystrumpet, Feb 14, 2008.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    My first was a brand new Buckingham cornet of the American long variety that my grandfather paid $37.50 for at Grinnells Music Store in Grand Rapids, Mi. in 1944 or 1945. I remember that I was 8 years old and grandpa caught me "muckin about" with his prized York short cornet that old 'Bill' Johnson hand built for him in exchange for grandpa making a custom folding top table for 'Bill'. That Buckingham cornet took me through grade school, Jr. High and most of high school, until my dad finally let me take his King Silvertone trumpet. I played that King until it was stolen from the closet in my room in the BOQ at Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego. That theft broke my heart and I am sure that my dad shed a tear or two about it as well. His mom gave it to him just two weeks before she was killed in an auto crash. By tyhe way, I still have that old Buckingham and just played it a bit, just moments ago.

OLDLOU>>

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  2. conemaugh

conemaugh New Friend

Feb 15, 2007
    Georgia
    My first trumpet was a Speigel mail-order (Old Craftsman). I was 10 years old and used this trumpet in elementary, middle, high school and college. While in a college audition, the instructor looked at the signature on the trumpet and said "Old Craftsman"? Where did you get this piece of s***? At first I felt humiliated and embarassed, then I got mad, took the trumpet from the instructor and nailed the audition. I wish I still had that trumpet -- my cousin used it in high school and trashed it.

3. Debacler

Debacler Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2006
    Ripley, WV
    My first trumpet was obtained by my dad in some sort of a trade with a friend, it was made by R. Melchoir U Sohn in Germany. It is silverplated and there is no serial number; the nickle plated valves are numbered 49, 50 and 51. I still have it and intend on sending it off for some work some day; the leadpipe needs re-soldered as does another tube and some dings need removed. It has some very nice engraving on the bell. I moved on to an Olds Ambassador my folks bought on sale just before my freshman year in highschool; I currently play a Bach.

4. country4363

country4363 New Friend

Dec 18, 2007
    Jackson,Tn
    My first horn was a Conn for $75. Wish I still had it. Nothing wrong with the Bach that replaced it.

5. piccolomaster

piccolomaster Pianissimo User

Jan 23, 2008
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    My first trumpet was a Getzen 300 model trumpet, then a year and a half later I got a student model Yamaha trumpet. When I decided to get serious in music, I purchase a Bach-Stradivarius 180ML Silver trumpet.

6. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Back in jr. High school,in 7th grade I took group trumpet lessons.My brother bought me a J G Goren student trumpet.That was back in 1964.I dont play it but still have it.

7. Stile442

Stile442 Piano User

Mar 26, 2007
    Deland Fl
    Mine was a Getzen Eterna 700 series. Wish I still had it. I loved those valves :)

8. phatbrass

phatbrass Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2007
    UK
    Mine was a 'Rosehill Instruments' something or other in nasty gold lacquer. It was an awful horn looking back but was my pride and joy at the time. I think I traded it in for a student Yamaha and got about 10 quid or so.

9. Spence

Spence New Friend

Apr 11, 2007
    Iowa City, IA
    I started on an old Getzen trumpet don't remember what model it was, then bought a strad right before high school.