first valve slide triger installation?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Aug 30, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Can a triger be installed on the first and third valve slide? What are the pros and cons to doing so. Is a finger slide preferable on both?

crow

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Any decent repairman can install a trigger mechanism on a trumpet....However I find a bit odd combination of 3rd slide ring+1st slide trigger which is common on some trumpets like Olds and Blessings. Personally I prefer to have either saddles/rings or triggers (which is rather seen on cornets) but not both on the same instrument.

3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I agree with Trumpetnick, in that it should be triggers on both valve slides or saddles/rings on both slides, but not one of each. The reason is that some notes respond well if one of the two slides are moved but sometimes you need to move both slides for best results, and if one is a trigger and one is a slide, the mechanics of moving the slides will move the whole trumpet since to move both slides you'll have to push in the same direction, rather than opposite to each other which happens when both have the same mechanism.

4. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    I'm going to disagree with the posters above me and say that I prefer a third valve trigger and a first slide saddle or ring. The first slide trigger can be annoying, because your thumb naturally puts a lot of pressure on what it's holding, so you always feel like pushing down on the first valve trigger, using it when it's not needed.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Laker,

Everything can be learnt to work with. However, try to move together both slides and you will see how uncomfy it may be. It can be dealt with, but that was not my point. If you cannot play without applying pressure on the 3rd valve trigger, than I would consider this a problem...Most pro cornets are equipped with triggers. Trigger+ring is a rather rare phenomena on trumpet and most contemporary trumpets get rings/saddles for a reason - the time has spoken and threw away this combination. there must be a reason, why this is so marginally seen nowadays.

6. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    I have to agree with the above posters aswell, my strad as a 1st valve trigger and 3rd valve slide, and i find it nearly impossible to move both at the same time, if I find the money I will most likely get a trigger on the 3rd, the combination of a ring and trigger is badd.