First Vintage Horn

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by pmkt16, Oct 24, 2004.

1. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    To all you guys out there what was your first/favorite Vintage horn to have owned or played?

I bought my first vintage horn a little while ago and it was a Conn 48B Vocabell and I absolutely love it.

2. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Well, people are gonna roll their eyes, but my first (and only to date) vintage horn is my Olds Studio. I love this horn. Love it. It handles jazz and lead roles just fine, and can even handle legit work. Did I mention I love this horn?

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The first vintage horn I lusted after was a Couesnon "Medal" horn, which I couldn't get because of some jerk with $150 more than me...

I then got a Buescher true Tone, which is in perfect shape, no dents dings or scratched, in raw brass. Of course, it has no valves or spit valves....

The first vintage I owned and played on is "Ole Trusty," a 1960 olds Ambassador.

I finally got that horn a lusted after, even though it was a different one (same year, though), the Couesnon. It can play, but it needs new valve springs, and professional cleaning. I think I'll name her Sarah....

Sometimes I entertain dreams of owning an antique music store....

Van

4. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    and here I was thinking I was the only one who named my horns...

5. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

My first vintage cornet happened almost by accident.

I read an ad on eBay for a '73 Benge 3X trumpet, in my state of Georgia, that was within 100 digits of one I'd always regretted selling. Contacting the seller, he invited me to come play it before bidding. The seller was a guy named Rich Ita . . . the noted vintage horn restorer.

Well, the Benge played great . . . but didn't light my fire. I mentioned to Rich that I'd love to get a vintage cornet some day to use in my Dixieland group . . . and he started hauling out tons of really neat horns:

J.W. Pepper, a gold plated Conn New Wonder, Olds Opera, and many more cool cornets! However, when I picked up a restored 1911 Boston 3-Star (w/ complete kit and case) I was stunned with how it played and how it sounded.

That 3-Star felt literally ALIVE . . . and the horn fit me so well that I HAD to have it!!! It was $850 . . . and worth every penny, for soooo many vintage instruments play so poorly. This one was as good an instrument as ever made!

For the next nine months, until I played a trumpet just as good, I played that 3-Star unless I HAD to play trumpet. It's an incredible horn.

Other vintage horns have come and gone, and I've now got another 3-Star within about 150 digits of my first one, as well as several really outstanding vintage cornets . . . and an vintage Olds trombone that comes with BOTH the slide AND valve trombone assembly in its case.

Tom

6. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Are the Boston trumpets of comparable worth? I know I might be half-hijacking the subject, but theres one on ebay at the moment. I dont have the time left to get the url, but its listed as a vintage Boston trumpet. Its going for pretty cheap, if anyone is interested.

Van

7. bigaggietrumpet

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Yeah, I saw the same horn, and wondered the same thing. It's a 3 star trumpet, if that helps anyone.

8. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    My first was a 1921 Conn 10A vocal cornet, which I bought back in '86 or '87 and still have.

I'd have to say my favorite is my '23 Conn 80A, which I play weekly in a polka (!) band.

The two I still kick myself for not buying when I held them in my hot little hands were an Olds Recording and a .468-bore Severinsen Getzen. Oh, and the Olds Opera.

The one I kick myself for letting get away was the Selmer K-Modified large-bore cornet that had once belonged to Laurie McGaw, of the San Francisco Symphony.

9. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I saw that Boston 3-Star trumpet on eBay too. It was a late Boston serial number, well after Cundy-Bettoney purchased Boston in 1914 and set a record in ruining a great horn-making company!

Even the gorgeous engravings found on earlier 3-Stars was missing on the Cundy-Bettoney horn . . . replaced by what appears to be a cheaper stamping.

I didn't check the auction to see how it ended but I wouldn't imagine it brought much.

Tom

10. tom turner

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    I just checked. The late Boston trumpet started with an opening bid of $150 . . . and got two bids. The winning bid was a little over $159

Tom